Looking for some polish color possibilities with these crosses

Um, I don't think this is supposed to happen :eek:

Is there any chance one of the hens mated with a different rooster in the weeks before you started collecting eggs for hatching? That would be the simplest explanation.
The chick is full polish, and there are two other polish roosters, a silver laced and a white with a black crest.
They were all isolated in the small pen about 3 weeks before I started collecting eggs, I would have to look up the exact date.
Picture of the white crested black just because its a less common color
20220412_124813.jpg

Looks like I put them all in the small pen April 8th, and I started collecting eggs to hatch on the 24th. How long can the sperm live in their bodies?

The chick is full polish, and there are two other polish roosters, a silver laced and a white with a black crest.
They were all isolated in the small pen about 3 weeks before I started collecting eggs, I would have to look up the exact date.
Picture of the white crested black just because its a less common color

Looks like I put them all in the small pen April 8th, and I started collecting eggs to hatch on the 24th. How long can the sperm live in their bodies?
Ok, on closer inspection, there is some brown/gold around the head and possibly on the wings, and body appears more silver than black.... WHO IS THIS BABY

If the chick has large amounts of actual black, then it cannot be fathered by the Buff Laced Polish (unless HE has one copy of the not-Dominant-White gene, which I do not expect.)

As for how long hens can store sperm, it is definitely more than 1 week.
There are a few anecdotes of it being more than 3 weeks.
I think long sperm storage is what happened here.

I don't know whether the father is the Silver Laced or the Black Crested White, but I think it must be one of the two. When the chick feathers out and we can see what pattern it has, it may become more obvious.

The mother is probably the Red Crested Red.
The mother is not a Buff Laced hen, for the same reason the father is not the Buff Laced rooster.
If the mother were one of the black or blue ones (any crest color), I would expect the chick to be predominantly black or blue, much more than it is.

If the chick has large amounts of actual black, then it cannot be fathered by the Buff Laced Polish (unless HE has one copy of the not-Dominant-White gene, which I do not expect.)

As for how long hens can store sperm, it is definitely more than 1 week.
There are a few anecdotes of it being more than 3 weeks.
I think long sperm storage is what happened here.

I don't know whether the father is the Silver Laced or the Black Crested White, but I think it must be one of the two. When the chick feathers out and we can see what pattern it has, it may become more obvious.

The mother is probably the Red Crested Red.
The mother is not a Buff Laced hen, for the same reason the father is not the Buff Laced rooster.
If the mother were one of the black or blue ones (any crest color), I would expect the chick to be predominantly black or blue, much more than it is.
I don't know if it is relevant, but two of the hens are the result of a white crested blue and gold lace pairing. Could some of that brown leak through even tho the hens don't have it?

I don't know if it is relevant, but two of the hens are the result of a white crested blue and gold lace pairing. Could some of that brown leak through even tho the hens don't have it?
Yes, it could.
I had been assuming (bad idea) that they were each pure for their own color type.
But yes, a hen who had a gold laced parent can produce a chick with any of the genes that normally come from Gold Laced Polish.
So yes, those are also possible mothers of the chick.

Yes, it could.
I had been assuming (bad idea) that they were each pure for their own color type.
But yes, a hen who had a gold laced parent can produce a chick with any of the genes that normally come from Gold Laced Polish.
So yes, those are also possible mothers of the chick.
I hope it will become more obvious as it feathers out, it will be fun to watch it grow regardless!

Back
Top Bottom