looking for suggestions on waterproofing wooden spool for inside run..

krowl

Songster
Feb 23, 2017
Eastern Shore, Maryland
I was able to get my hands on a rather large wooden spool and I am trying to brainstorm how to waterproof this in order to put it in my run. I was thinking the chickens would like hopping up on it and sitting underneath it if they needed shade etc. I just don't want the wood to get gross and was wondering if anyone had any luck with any type of spray or pain to waterproof/protect something like this inside of their runs etc.?

Hmmm....I doubt it needs anything...
...but any good outdoor paint(properly prepped and applied) should work.
Keeping it up off the ground, like on a few concrete blocks, would go a long way for longevity....and give them another place to shelter.

Got pics?

Also.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-4_9-49-0.png

If you want maximum protection and minimum maintenance, a waterproofing wood stain is your best bet. It's better than paint. Paint sits on the surface of the wood and eventually chips and flakes off. Then you need to scrape it off to repaint properly, which is more work and more mess. The stain, on the other hand, penetrates into the wood and offers better protection. Also, to reapply, you don't need to scrape anything off - you just apply the new stain right on top of the old layer. It lasts longer, too - 25 years if used on fences and 10 years on decks. BEHR makes waterproofing stains that come in solid colors, too, not just semi-opaque "wood colored" colors like stains usually come in. Just make sure you paint it on thin and rub it into the wood so it gets absorbed instead of pooling on the surface. If it's too thick, it will chip like paint. I don't like leaving unprotected wood outdoors, even if it's pressure treated, just because I want to extend its lifespan. The elements can be harsh on wood. Especially something that chickens will be pooping on. I doubt that spool has had any treatment (like pressure treating) so I would recommend giving it something.

If you want maximum protection and minimum maintenance, a waterproofing wood stain is your best bet. It's better than paint. Paint sits on the surface of the wood and eventually chips and flakes off. Then you need to scrape it off to repaint properly, which is more work and more mess. The stain, on the other hand, penetrates into the wood and offers better protection. Also, to reapply, you don't need to scrape anything off - you just apply the new stain right on top of the old layer. It lasts longer, too - 25 years if used on fences and 10 years on decks. BEHR makes waterproofing stains that come in solid colors, too, not just semi-opaque "wood colored" colors like stains usually come in. Just make sure you paint it on thin and rub it into the wood so it gets absorbed instead of pooling on the surface. If it's too thick, it will chip like paint. I don't like leaving unprotected wood outdoors, even if it's pressure treated, just because I want to extend its lifespan. The elements can be harsh on wood. Especially something that chickens will be pooping on. I doubt that spool has had any treatment (like pressure treating) so I would recommend giving it something.
Great suggestions here! I have a cable spool in my coop and the ladies love it - untreated and it has held up great so far. Thanks for nudging me to stain and waterproof it!

Back
Top Bottom