Looking for the best egglayers Normally i woud choose Leghorns but i got some strange info

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by guineafowlguy, Jan 9, 2013.

1. guineafowlguy

guineafowlguy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2013
    I have been doing meet to dual purpose birds for quite a while now.

Now I was thinking about moving on to the egg laying side.

Normally I would start looking at leghorns but according to this website there easter egg chicken lays just as much or more than the leghorns.

Now i know what you are thinking. :D Some person new to chickens asking silly questions :D

Well you might not be far off lol Anyway i must still ask.

These are the links to the data i got

Leghorns

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/whtleghornpage.html

They said 220.33 eggs per year.

Easter eggers

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/araucana.html

They said they would lay 250-300 eggs per year.

Now how much do you think is true. Due any of you guys own easter eggers?

Also what other breeds are good for high egg production :)

Thanks

2. Yellow House Farm

Yellow House Farm Overrun With Chickens

Jun 22, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    Every strain of a breed is different. You're probably going to do fine with either one, and then much will depend on your husbandry. If you're just looking to stock the family fridge wit eggs, most hatchery strain of traditional farm fowl will do the trick. The "best" layer is often too much.

3. guineafowlguy

guineafowlguy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2013
    I guess what i am really looking for is not tons of eggs but more spread out eggs. Although tons of eggs is not a problem :D I can use sevaral dozen a day no problem.

I would love to have eggs throughout the whole year. The reason i looked at leaghorns is they lay lots of eggs true but they lay for a longer amount of time.

If i have lots of eggs i can store them for a few month's while i wait for them to start laying again.

So i guess what im more woried about is the time span. What chicken will lay for almost all of the year.

Im not to worried about the bread. I would be happy to take suggestions of other breeds if people think others breeds are better.

Also is there a chicken that is more diseases resistant?

I dont expect them to never get sick just more immune to what is out there.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  4. ProfTi

ProfTi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    My eggers lay 5 plus/week; rain, sleet, snow, blizzard, heat wave.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by