1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

looking for tiny coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by porterrockwell, May 31, 2007.

1. porterrockwell

porterrockwell New Egg

May 31, 2007
    Live on small suburban lot, am getting 2 hens. Need a good design for a very small coop. Live in Michigan so it needs to be sufficient for winter. My intention is to just have the small coop for night, and allow to run free rest of the time in the yard.

2. ChickaChickaBoomBoom

ChickaChickaBoomBoom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    I'll be using a smallish rabbit hutch for my two (one day) hens, though I'm guessing you'd have to add some insulation to it for the winters there.

The nice thing about the rabbit hutch is that you can find them premade at very affordable prices on Craigslist, and then just make modifications as needed.

Good luck with you planning!

-Dave

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    You can also find small rabbit hutches at your local pet supermarket or tractor supply if you have them in your area. Some one posted small animal pens from petsmart.com too that were really nice for the money. Under a $100 I believe.

4. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Michigan gets really cold in the winter....I live in Mi also. Are you going to keep them in the garage during the winter. You need to keep them somewhat warm during the cold months. I kept mine, a flock of four, in a small dog pen in the garage for the winter. we have a nest box in the cage. Worked out great. Had heat lamp on them during the really cold nights. Also, put water under heat lamp to prevent freezing. They had the run of the garage, also. Yes, i had to pick up the poop, but it really wasn't a big deal. A nice putty knife and a dust pan work great.
    I got 12 more chickens, so they are moving to a nice coop with plenty of room. [​IMG]

5. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    Wow, this is amazing I live in michigan too Im trying to find some coops plans for 4-5 silkies to fit in. And if anyone has some chicks they dot want ill take them. Other than that i need some coop plans. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. urbanhomesteader

urbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Yorba Linda, CA
    A large wooden dog house should work. Someone is always trying to get rid of those on Craigslist or Ebay. Sometimes you can find a free one at your local Freecycle.

7. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Hey, Silkielovr, where are you located? Silkies don't need as much room, so, it really shouldn't be that hard to build a small coop, if you are handy, or a dog house. I have an extra dog house, that if put up off the ground, I think it'll work for a couple of silkies.

8. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    How much money do you want to spend? How about a henspa?

9. iopele

iopele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    If you add insulation, make sure that you seal it inside or the chickens will peck at it. Styrofoam supposedly doesn't hurt them, but I'd imagine any kind of fiberglass would.

Or you could get an Eglu--it's designed for 2 hens and I've heard good things about them. http://www.omlet.us/products_services/products_services.php?view=Chickens They're not cheap, though--around $500. You could definitely build something comparable for less.

10. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    Chickflick I would rather tell you where im located privatly i'll E-mail you. but yes im interested I have 5 silkie eggs in the bator right now and im getting everthing ready im at day 9 and there all growin. Ill E-mail you [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by