looking for waterers that dont leak

jwatts

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
I have a few chicks and some ducklings that we are raising, I give them water in your standard run of the mill waterer with the red base on it, it holds about 16-20 oz. and I have been using a 1 gal waterer with the red base that screws on.
These are the ones im using
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/1_and_2_gallon_plastic_waterers.html

Is there any better ones out there? everytime I check on the chicks theres water all over there bedding, im not sure if there playing in it or the ducks are making a mess out of it.

Hello,

Yes, chickens love to play with whatever they have in their coop/run...and this includes their water. Oftentimes chickens will also spill water as they attempt to roost on the tops of the container. This can cause a problem when trying to keep bedding dry to prevent other health problems.

I would suggest you switch over to a water-nipple systems as this is much cleaner and more ease to handle. I've attached a picture of this system within this message as an example. Simple PVC pipe and water nipples (which can be found online...ebay) all cost just a few bucks each. I built a large system this last year for less than $15.00 and it holds about eight gallons of water. This system allows me to worry less about chickens running out of water and focus more on other aspects of the coop/run. Furthermore, this system is extremely easy to install and only requires a drill and drill bits.

I hope this helps...I originally started with the same water system you have and quickly grew tired of cleaning it out daily. This approach is much cleaner and can be expanded upon to meet your size. Each nozzle is rated for 1-3 chickens...but due to their low cost I would suggest having extra if you can. Lastly, this system can be expanded upon to hold a wide range of water quantities. I've seen small systems hold roughly a gallon of water to much larger systems which held in excess of 50 gallons.

Chicken+Fountain+Irene.JPG

Thank you, I think that's exactly what im going to do. I may us a bucket and put the nipples on the bottom because I have a nice small pulley in the center of a small coop. thanks again

I've read, from various sources and retailers, that one chicken nipple can serve 1-30 chickens. Either extreme sounds ridiculous to me. So the middle of the road reports, that a nipple can serve 6-15 birds, sounds more reasonable. And you should always have at least two nipples, regardless of how few birds you have, in case one nipple gets clogged or otherwise nonfunctional. We use two nipples for our 13 chickens.

I have 24 chickens and they have gotten by just fine with 4 nipples. However, I recently went to 9 nipples so they would drink the water while it is still cool. Summer's coming in these parts.

I have a few chicks and some ducklings that we are raising, I give them water in your standard run of the mill waterer with the red base on it, it holds about 16-20 oz. and I have been using a 1 gal waterer with the red base that screws on.
These are the ones im using
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/1_and_2_gallon_plastic_waterers.html

Is there any better ones out there? everytime I check on the chicks theres water all over there bedding, im not sure if there playing in it or the ducks are making a mess out of it.

Solway Feeders say 6 to 8 birds per nipple.
Horizontal nipples don't leak!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221392072735?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Back
Top Bottom