Looking for Winter Advice- What do you wish you had known

Hey, I'm new here, but I thought I'd add my two cents and ask a follow-up question.

My husband rigged our coop (dog house with nest box and feeders/waterers) with a thermostat and heat lamp, so it only turns on when it gets below x-degrees. I can't remember the temp. It's been working so far. (We're in Colorado, and it's generally mild, but can get vicious.)

We also have several roosts outside the coop that our girls spend a lot of time on, and they've taken to sleeping outside on them at night.

So, my question is this: When it's nice during the day, but below freezing at night, should I "force" them to sleep in the coop? Will they go in on their own, or will my "darling featherbrains" get themselves frozen to death?

~Homeschool Mom to 4 younguns, MamaHen to 8 "rainbow layer" chickens, Loving life at the foot of Pikes Peak~

Quote:
Are they secure from hungry animals?
Can they go in and out as they please all night?

If they're not sheltered from above and sides etc... I'd be chasing them in on cold (below freezing) nights - or perhaps just get em used to it anyway - and remove the outside roosts.
(I'm close to you - Nebraska) mine sleep inside every night no matter what - we have racoons and coyotes etc... and even with a fully enclosed run, I lock em up.

I have several birds that prefer to sleep outside, one in the open, the others under a covered area of the run. It's dipping welllll below freezing now, and yet they still sleep outside. I've actually put them inside on the roost, and they just hop down and go back outside. Unless YOU have some desire to spend time outside at freezing temps, I'd just let them be.
tongue.png

Thanks so much for the responses!

Yes, they have a large, enclosed pen with chicken wire covering the top and more wire buried 1 1/2 feet down in the ground as well. the neighborhood cats, foxes, and hawks have sat outside the pen drooling, but none can get in, so they're starting to lose interest.
big_smile.png

~Homeschool Mom to 4 younguns, MamaHen to 8 "rainbow layer" chickens, Loving life at the foot of Pikes Peak~

Welcome Chicknsnbiskits. It's it a hoot to watch frustrated predators sitting outside looking in at your chickens and knowing they can't get to them. I've watched a coyote for several mornings. Again welcome and I'm sure you will find this site very informative and enjoyable.

Quote:
Well they seem safe out there - but I would chase them in when its cold. If your cold is like our cold, it will come with nasty wind, and they just can't keep warm in that.

My coop is pretty tiny (2.5 wide 4 long 4 high at peak with 2 roosts and a ladder) for 3 chickens (soon to be 5) but they have my entire yard to roam in (solid, 6+ft high fully fenced except for gates). I expect that they won't want to be in the coop all winter as they're used to so much space (~2000sqft). We basically gave our backyard to the chickens and dogs. The only time they spent an entire day in the coop was when I first put them in there. Now they're outside at first light and don't come in till late. They spend a lot of time under/at the side of the deck. They like to warm themselves on the wood steps. The deck is about 2.5 ft high, approximately 8x20 and abuts the house. It stays mostly dry under there and is protected.

There they are hanging out on the steps:
n719195728_1877576_8367.jpg

I am in Seattle and we have fairly mild winters with rain. The chickens stay outside all day, even when it's raining. They'll just go outside if I put them in and I'd rather not coop them up if I don't have to. There are small covers for them to sit under and they can go under the deck. My question is- is that enough protection for them in the winter?

My fiance is already giving me grief for how much our already depreciating house is being depreciated by my chicken projects so I'm not quite sure what to do if they needed more. The insulated shed is off limits as it's the art studio.

Back
Top Bottom