Looking into Goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jamieg, Jun 26, 2010.

1. jamieg

jamieg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Chili, Wisconsin
    Now that I have my chickens producing, my next project is getting a few goats. A few questions I have are how much would it cost to fence in one acre of pasture (not electric fence) and some of the pasture I've been thinking about is really high right now (about 5 feet tall). Would goats do a good job of weed eating? My amish neighbor will hopefully be making hay soon! We have about 4 acres of land and could have more pasture depending on the cost of fencing. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

2. roosterdog

roosterdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Throckmorton
    Hope you have better luck with your goats then I did.

I could not keep him in my 4' chain link fence. He just climbed right over it.

When they start grazing they just keep on going!

They are great weed eaters and like to be with other goats.

3. jamieg

jamieg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Chili, Wisconsin
    Do you still have your goats? I would like to have about 3 of them by either this fall or next spring. I still need to get a shelter for them and the fencing. How high should the fencing be. I would think 4-5 feet should be good, but obviously you had some issues.

4. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    I would think the fencing should be around 800 or more depending on who does it and what kind. For someone to do my yard with livestock fencing it was $2000. I should have gone with no climb horse fencing but didn't know better when I had the guy put it up.
    If you have family around, rent an auger and do it yourself. Make a bbq weekend.

5. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Look into getting pure bred fainters. They do not jump fences and are not big climbers. We've had ours enclosed in hog panels for fencing in 7 years we've never had one jump or climb out. They are awesome little creatures and are very sweet natured. They come in all colors and different coat lengths. They can be horned or polled (hornless) some even have blue eyes. Each pen will need it's own shelter. Be sure to get at least two - they like to have company. A single goat is loney and tends to get into trouble - they are herd animals and feel better if they are in a group or at least kept as a pair.

Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by