Looking to add a game bird to my flock, need some advice.

domromer

Songster
12 Years
May 11, 2007
Flagstaff,AZ
This year I want to hatch a few of different breeds. I did some reading and found a few different articles that tout game birds as being the most broody and way better than any incubator. I already have 2 barred rocks , 2 speckled sussex, 2 marans, and 2 Buff orpingtons.

I mention the other breed because I'm looking for a breed that can be housed with these other breeds that are pretty placid. Also I live at 7000ft so I need a breed that can handle winter nights that regularly get to 12f.

So I'm looking for advice on which game breeds would fit the bill.

Not sure about game birds being broody, I do know that they tend to be rather aggressive and may fight with your other birds. I only have one in my current flock and she is an American Game that we found running around in the Wal Mart parking lot.

We were warned about aggression with her breed, and at first she was mean and attacked my other birds. We kept her in a cage inside their coop for quite a while to let her get used to them and she has settled down somewhat though she still is pretty feisty and the other birds have learned to stay out of her way!

I've had her for close to a year and she has never gone broody though.

If you are looking for a bird that has a good temperament AND is a great broody, the best I can recommend is a silkie. Yeah, they look kinda silly, but they are super moms and go broody quite frequently. I have one that hatched out 4 gorgeous BBS Orps for me and I think she's worth her weight in gold!

If you raise the Games with your current flock they should not fight. It is not uncommon for gamer roosters to live harmoniously with other roosters provided they were raised together. I would look into Old English or American games. I have read that not only are the hens great mothers but in the event that the hen is killed while the brood is small some roosters will assume the duties of mother.

Other large fowl breeds to consider for broodiness are the Cochins and true Araucana. They make great mothers as well.

I would go with the Old English myself...Shamos, Malays, and a few others are more agrressive but they have a higher broodiness factor than most breeds. Part of their aggressiveness and broodiness is tied back to the fact that they retain more of their wild traits. Might look at the Keys birds...they are real close to wild and there are some folks down their that run adoptions on them and are looking to spread out the genetics...just a thought

I planned on getting them as day olds so they'd grow up with the other breeds and be fine. I was thinking game hens for 2 reason, they supposedly are very healthy and cold and heat hardy. Also due to the fact they are closely related to wild birds they have kept more of their innate broodiness. I'm hoping they'd be more aware and watch out for predators better than say a barred rock would.

Dang you would ask! I will find it soon!...well by this evening! Check eggbid for a quick one...they show up there once and awhile but I have another website...I think it is on my home computer

Back
Top Bottom