Looking to get some Guineas, Need some info

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by JoeS500, Sep 14, 2009.

1. JoeS500

JoeS500 New Egg

Jun 22, 2009
    Hi guys, I'm looking to get some guineas. I am not really familiar with them at all. I have 5 free range wild eastern turkeys. I was wondering if they will get along with my turkeys and if they'd roost up in a tree at night with them. We do have fox around, but the turkeys seem to know what predators are. Any info would be great.
    Thanks -Joe

2. animal_lover03

animal_lover03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    I have one guinea hen and 14 chickens. We call her Dotty. She protects our chickens and whenever she hears a hawk or predator she'll make a noise and all the chickens cock their heads and listen. If she makes another noise all the chickens go running inside where its safe.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They probably would stick with your turkeys, they don't like to be alone. If you get young ones though, they probably wouldn't be able to get up into the trees for a while. My 3-4 month olds just started roosting in the barn rafters, after 'roosting' on top of the quail cages for a month.

4. chickenwire

chickenwire Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    nova scotia
    hi raising my young eastern wild turkeys with guinea keets and they get along great. Im finding the turkeys friendly calm manner helps make the guineas calmer too. and they both can eat turkey starter too

5. JoeS500

JoeS500 New Egg

Jun 22, 2009
    Thanks for the replies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by