Looking to Start a Small Flock!

Hiya @samswartz09 and welcome from Central AL as well! I recommend checking out the Buy Sell Bulletin paper (you can pick it up at most gas stations) and also give Friday night auctions at Clay County Goat & Poultry Auctions a look. We picked up a few breeds there. Check out Craigslist locally too. Oh, and occasionally you'll catch chicks at Tractor Supply locations but they seem to go fast. We've gotten our ducklings at Talladega.

From experience, do that essential homework on predator prevention! Get yourself a game/trail cam and set it right on the coop so you know exactly what is coming around.

And hey, a BIG WELCOME AGAIN! :welcome

You've been visited by the Welcome Tater
View attachment 2003845

Hi! Thank you! I will keep an eye out at the buy/sell paper! I'll definitely look into the Clay auction. It's not too far from us!

Thank you for the suggestion for the predator prevention homework. I didn't really thing of it until chatting with a friend of mine and what she's been through raising chickens. I'm hoping our partial free range coop plans will work out. But if there's something in the woods that we haven't seen yet, it may be trouble. There are a lot of free range chickens in the area so hopefully it's a pretty safe place. Fingers crossed! I want to make all efforts to keep them safe for sure.

:frow A warm welcome to BYC! :woot
Are you going to bring your horse home soon?
We would love to see pictures of your horse. Of course your six or twenty ( ;) ) chickens as well when you get them.
No, unfortunately we have mostly wooded land so it's not really suitable/sustainable for a horse :( but it's alright! I'm hoping that we will one day have more than four or six chickens one day!

Hen-Pun.jpg
:welcome :frow 👍

Back
Top Bottom