Looks like a roo, acts like a hen.

littlepip

Songster
Sep 1, 2018
Minnesota
I have a hen that I purchased from tractor supply in the early spring. Well we thought she was a SHE, but as her feathers came in, we noticed she was a HE. He seems to act like a hen though, loves to cuddle, and sit in the corner with his pals. Is this normal? he seems to be having an identity crisis. :gig
FullSizeRender (4).jpg

IMG_0071.JPG

he doesn't "strut" like my other rooster either. :confused:
Anyone else have this odd experience?

I have a hen that I purchased from tractor supply in the early spring. Well we thought she was a SHE, but as her feathers came in, we noticed she was a HE. He seems to act like a hen though, loves to cuddle, and sit in the corner with his pals. Is this normal? he seems to be having an identity crisis. :gig
View attachment 1887300
View attachment 1887301
he's probably acting like that as he's not dominant and is making himself not appear as a threat with more roosters in the flock to avoid getting the crap beat out of himself, will be a good helper when older to the flock if you choose to keep him. They do tend to if they get their own hens separate from the other guys do just fine

Cockerels are frequently very social. When his hormones hit, he may turn into your worst nightmare. I would read up on rooster behavior. There are a few good articles and some not so good ones in the learning center. I've posted links to the ones I consider worth reading.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-naturally-good-rooster.74983/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/a-viewpoint-on-keeping-roosters.74690/

He is really close with my other roo as well, and they'll yell for each other when apart. He'll even chase the roo around, but they've never in any way tried to hurt each other.

View attachment 1887300
View attachment 1887301
He's quite young yet, so yes, that behaviour is normal for his age. His behaviour will change significantly over the next few months.

The only rooster I ever had that could probably be quantified as non aggressive, to humans or to other roosters, had a probable heart problem and wans't very active.
I believe roosters are naturally wired to be aggressive—they have to be to chase other roosters off, or to protect their hens from a threat. Whether they direct it at you or not (the most commonly used definition of aggression) is up to other factors.

Back
Top Bottom