Looks like Fowl pox - What should I do?

McGoo

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Mid Hudson River Valley, NY
My little Buff Orpington, Barbie, seems to have some type of skin disorder - seems to be this fowl pox. At first she had it on her crop, near the bottom and that went away so I thought it was just dirt. But now it's near her eye and causing some swelling and near her nose. Some one said it could be fowl pox. Should I remove her from the others? I'm also getting hatching eggs and I don't want a problem. Any ideas? She's 1 1/2 years old and she looks and acts normal. Her comb appears to be bright.

Appreciate any/all helpful ideas since I don't have a clue.

Barbierash.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure it's pox. Wet pox seems to kill pretty quickly and dry pox seems to be white bumps and then bleeding scabs.
Do you have the Chicken Health Handbook? I find it very helpful.

Good luck to Barbie -

I'll have to take a picture but I am beginning to think one of mine has it too ( the dry type ) What do we do with the flock? My bird has had a bit of feather loss on her head too, I noticed today that she has a whitish spot near her eye. She's so hard to get to take a look at but will try and corner her for a picture.
What do I have to do to the coop, to her, and what precautions do I need to do for my family? Are the eggs safe to eat?

separate the ill ones as soon as you see the lesions ... give them their own source of water and feed...treat the lesions with iodine.

Thanks for replies and helpful advice.

Today I spoke with my vet and I sent the photo to her. She doesn't think it's pox. She thinks it's just that Barbie was pecked or had a little wound that's healing and I should leave it alone. Also she said that if it was pox all the others were already infected.
th.gif

Hoping it's nothing.
fl.gif

Kind of looks like the eye on one of my darn roo's who just couldn't stay on his side of the fence... pesky two lbs of trouble is no match for 10 lbs of large roo. Got spurred and his eye almost pecked out. A bit worse than in your pic though.

Back
Top Bottom