1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looks like something took a bite of the chicken... Will she live?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenSchool, Sep 10, 2013.

1. ChickenSchool

ChickenSchool Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    I came home to find a chunk of my approx 2 mos old chicken missing. I had her in a kennel with two other hatches so the older hens would not peck at them. What can I do to help her live?[​IMG]

2. CarolinaSkies

CarolinaSkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2012
    Chickens are incredibly resilient and even though it looks bad, it doesn't appear life threatening...imo. Clean the wound with the wash of your choice, hydrogen-peroxide, beta-dine, saline solution, etc.. Then apply an antiseptic such as blu-kote, vetericyn, neosporine, etc. I like Blu-kote because it seems to disguise the wound from other chickens and they don't pick at it. I would separate her for a day or two, but then try and get her back with her buddies to keep her spirits up. You may need to provide some additional barriers around the kennel for protection because your carnivore will probably be back. Good luck!

3. K R 2709

K R 2709 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2013
    BC, Canada
    Hope she gets better soon

4. Beaky Buzzard

Beaky Buzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Remove the feathers around it and keep it clean...... put. Some antibiotics cream on it.

5. ChickenSchool

ChickenSchool Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Trimmed the feathers. Here is another look.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by