Looks like worms?

WARosie

Chirping
Aug 6, 2020
Hello I have a hen who was broody and sitting on eggs up until about 9 weeks ago, then started laying a few eggs again which started out well and then became thin. I started her on Calcium citrate 3 days ago to see if that will help. Yesterday she laid a soft shell egg with a thicker membrane and light coating of shell. This morning I noticed a poop that had pink in it, sort of like when chicks shed intestinal lining. I didn’t have my phone to get a good pic, but I checked under the roost bar and found some that had much less of the pink in it. She is 3 years old and I’ve never come across this before. Looks like it could be worms? Any help with ID would be appreciated. Thank you. This group is a lifesaver for us newer chicken owners. 💚

Attachments

• 6594FA93-5910-4815-9CDE-FE93D1D041A4.jpeg
    6594FA93-5910-4815-9CDE-FE93D1D041A4.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 61
  • F75055DF-F217-496D-98B3-96AB43661B63.jpeg
    F75055DF-F217-496D-98B3-96AB43661B63.jpeg
    440.1 KB · Views: 15
Hello I have a hen who was broody and sitting on eggs up until about 9 weeks ago, then started laying a few eggs again which started out well and then became thin. I started her on Calcium citrate 3 days ago to see if that will help. Yesterday she laid a soft shell egg with a thicker membrane and light coating of shell. This morning I noticed a poop that had pink in it, sort of like when chicks shed intestinal lining. I didn’t have my phone to get a good pic, but I checked under the roost bar and found some that had much less of the pink in it. She is 3 years old and I’ve never come across this before. Looks like it could be worms? Any help with ID would be appreciated. Thank you. This group is a lifesaver for us newer chicken owners. 💚

Also wanted to add one chicken is laying normally, there are only 2 adults in one coop and 8 9+ week old chicks in an adjoining coop divided with hardware cloth, so they could be exposed as well. Tips on treatment would be appreciated.

Just found this one too. Intestinal lining?

Attachments

• 183EF7E4-AE34-423B-9F2E-F8A1F06ACFB8.jpeg
    183EF7E4-AE34-423B-9F2E-F8A1F06ACFB8.jpeg
    422.1 KB · Views: 10
I see some orange colored intestinal lining, but no obvious worms. Some droppings may have coral covered urates at night, and those are usually white. A fecal float would tell you if there are any worm larvae, but most people just go ahead and worm with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer as a precaution if worms are suspected. I would,continue the calcium citrate with D for a week total to see if it helps. Do you use a layer feed, and have crushed oyster shell in a separate container for calcium?

I see some orange colored intestinal lining, but no obvious worms. Some droppings may have coral covered urates at night, and those are usually white. A fecal float would tell you if there are any worm larvae, but most people just go ahead and worm with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer as a precaution if worms are suspected. I would,continue the calcium citrate with D for a week total to see if it helps. Do you use a layer feed, and have crushed oyster shell in a separate container for calcium?
Thank you!! Yes Scratch n peck layer pellets. For calcium they have access to their eggshells (baked), pelletized oyster shell and regular oyster shell. I am considering discontinuing using their own eggshells. Thanks again!

Just found this one too. Intestinal lining?
This looks like shedding of the intestinal lining which is normal.

I do not see any worms; but here is what ascarids (round worms) look like. I worm my gang every Fall before winter, after a summer of eating all sorts of yummy things 😁 after I worm my gang I always look for any signs of parasites that have been shed, I found this ascarid the day after I wormed. Thank goodness I worm regularly, can’t imagine how awful this would make one feel.

If you see ascarids or other worms without worming then your bird likely has an overload of them, usually older birds and those who are under stress are most at risk.

Also note the orangey looking bits, that’s intestinal shedding.

5A3CBFA8-5D71-4736-92B7-1B2678DBFF15.jpeg

F1925DA6-52DD-4E92-BBEC-C833E4E041E2.jpeg

If your birds are roaming at all, eating bugs, frogs, toads and mice they will pick up parasites naturally. :sick

Back
Top Bottom