Looky loo at my hens feet!!

The_Flock

Songster
Aug 24, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Has anyone else had this? Is it common? My 2.5 yr old blue(ish) copper maran hen, Georgie has spurs!! I've had her all this time and I never even noticed.
When she was about 6 months old I found her hanging by her leg from our mobile coop ramp. She had sprained her leg badly. I helped her to heal and she is the leader now and a gentle one at that. But the injury affected her egg laying. She only layed for one season in her 2.5 yrs of life. But she's such an integral member. ❤
20190829_162632.jpg
20190829_162726.jpg
20190829_163113.jpg

I have a hen who started growing her spurs when she was still a pullet. She is 1 year and 18 weeks now. I'll try to get a picture of her spurs. They aren't as long as your hens but your hen is twice her age!
Your girl is just gorgeous, BTW!

None of my current ladies have spurs, but I've had several hens in the past who grew them. One Orpington mix had spurs easily 3" long. She was a sight strutting around the yard with her big boy spurs lol

I have a hen who started growing her spurs when she was still a pullet. She is 1 year and 18 weeks now. I'll try to get a picture of her spurs. They aren't as long as your hens but your hen is twice her age!
Your girl is just gorgeous, BTW!

Thank you. Georgie would follow you around all day after you told her that to her face. ☺

Back
Top Bottom