Looky what I found! **and now I have questions **

basicliving

Keepin' the sunny side up
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I've wanted to participate in the threads about letting mama hatch her eggs, but to be honest, my broody was neurotic and I wasn't sure she was going to pull it off. She kept leaving the next and sitting on eggs in other nests! I put her back on her own eggs a hundred times and was just certain there was no hope those eggs could possibly hatch as I kept finding them cool during temperatures in the 20s! But she did it! At least one is here now. It pipped last night, and I woke up to find this:

7641_baby1.jpg

7641_baby2.jpg

7641_baby1.jpg

I am just tickled to death.

Penny

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. Another one is making it out of the shell as I type this! Hopefully all 5 will hatch. I'll post more pics this afternoon. I am so happy mama hen is doing all the work with this hatch. Sweet little lady.

I saw your post yesterday and was very envious because over the past 5 yrs I have tried to have hens hatch out their own eggs and also have tried the bater but I have had only one chick hatched out and then die at an early age. I am so happy for you please forgive me for being jealous.
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Awww, that makes me sad
hugs.gif
And I certainly understand why you are jealous. I honestly did not think this little hen could possibly pull it off. She drove me crazy letting the other hens chase her off her nest. And then she'd just settle in on another egg in another nest. I moved her back to those eggs constantly. But she did it! The second is mostly out of the shell right now, and 2 more have pipped. I'll have pics this afternoon. Hubby is waiting on me to help put up the greenhouse, but I've been so darn preoccupied with these chicks I'm sure he's getting a little miffed. Better go focus on the task at hand.....

Back
Top Bottom