Looky what I got... a cow

Quote:
Wont do it. I dont need a 1000# pet lol. I hate to do it but I will eventually eat him or sell him. No animal gets a free ride around here.

Still healing from getting him home lol. darn the burrs

2011-12-25_21-54-54_418.jpg

Ive moved him to a 10'x10' kennel. Its nice because I can move it every day. It gives him fresh grass to eat and i dont have to mess with bedding. I go out everyday and talk to him. Its to the point now I can get in the kennel with him and he doesnt act all stupid. I havent had any luck finding a seeing eye animal so I am going to try the wind chime setup. I would like him to be free range in the yard asap.

2012-01-03_13-29-00_717.jpg

I know. They arent bothering him but are preventing me from putting a halter on him. Its taken me this long to be able to get somewhat close to him. Hopefully ill be able to touch him over teh next week or so.

You can get the burrs out easy with a wide tooth metal mane comb. I just got two
heifer calves not too long ago, (my first venture into cattle) and they were not hard to
tame. I tie mine up frequently while they get their grain. Like you said, there's no
free ride on your farm, just give him a little lesson everytime you feed him. It would
be a mercy to slaughter him locally though when its time. Using windchimes is a really
nice idea.

Ive had plenty of bucket babies over the years. thing is they could all see.
big_smile.png
Im not a big beef eater so I may trade him for some chickens. I dunno yet.

He looks small enough to manhandle yet. I'd capture him and tie him for a few days. Yes he will fight like crazy at first but being blind I think he will fight no matter how you try to tame him down. Better to be quick about it and get it over with before he has time to think.
I would tie him securely where he won't hurt himself and then touch him and brush him while talking to him until he gets over his fright. Putting a halter on him and letting it drag will get him used to the tug of a halter too. Just make sure he is not where he can hurt himself while this is going on. Supervise.
I'm sure you know the first time any cow is confined or tied is a bit rough until they realize they won't be hurt. I'd say better to get it over with while he's small. BTW.. is he castrated yet?

Back
Top Bottom