Looney tunes

I move these around all day with them in it for now but she still does it

Attachments

• IMG_20230809_114055.jpg
    IMG_20230809_114055.jpg
    944.4 KB · Views: 7
I move these around all day with them in it for now but she still does it
Too small of an enclosure. Chickens need space to spread out, scratch, dirt bathe, etc. Think about it like this: What if you were locked in a 5x6 foot cage all day - you can see the awesome places around you, but you cannot access it. Me - I would be pacing all day too. Put things in the yard - a framed pallets, bushes, hay stacks etc - where they can run and hide and let them out. They will probably hang around the base of that beautiful tree and in the shrubs.

Get a treat "bucket". When you have that in hand, call them over and give the something yummy from it. Soon, all you will have to do is walk out with the bucket and they will come running! If you have more space than you want them roaming in, fence in a large area for them.

My flock free ranges all day - sun up to sun down. They have access to 60 acres - they stay in about 1/2 acre area. Close to the run and close to the house. They have a favorite spot under some trees, under our deck or in the run lately b/c it offers the best shade/breeze option. On really nice days, they may wander on an couple of those acres.

They are smart, trust their instincts. If you can't do that then you should build them something larger that won't keep them so bored.

Good luck.

Too small of an enclosure. Chickens need space to spread out, scratch, dirt bathe, etc. Think about it like this: What if you were locked in a 5x6 foot cage all day - you can see the awesome places around you, but you cannot access it. Me - I would be pacing all day too. Put things in the yard - a framed pallets, bushes, hay stacks etc - where they can run and hide and let them out. They will probably hang around the base of that beautiful tree and in the shrubs.

Get a treat "bucket". When you have that in hand, call them over and give the something yummy from it. Soon, all you will have to do is walk out with the bucket and they will come running! If you have more space than you want them roaming in, fence in a large area for them.

My flock free ranges all day - sun up to sun down. They have access to 60 acres - they stay in about 1/2 acre area. Close to the run and close to the house. They have a favorite spot under some trees, under our deck or in the run lately b/c it offers the best shade/breeze option. On really nice days, they may wander on an couple of those acres.

They are smart, trust their instincts. If you can't do that then you should build them something larger that won't keep them so bored.

Good luck.
We have about 8 acres they'll have access to I just didn't want to let them loose one day 1 of bringing them home until they knew where home was. I scoured the tri county area for these girls Lavenders are near impossible to find in my area and they're my dream hens so I'm very protective lol

Back
Top Bottom