1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

loosing Feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aviary junkie, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Aviary junkie

Aviary junkie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2009
    I have a 1 1/2 year old hen who is loosing feathers on her head and now her neck. This has been going on all summer. I don't feel that it is molting. Some of my other hens are molting and it doesn't look the same. Her skin is not broken but in places looks red. She is still bright eyed and active, she eats well but seems to be losing feathers and it seems to be getting worse. I have tried to check her for lice and mites and I have not been able to see anything.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Time for a bug check. Lice and mites can cause feather loss.
    ETA- check her with a flashlight after dark concentrating on the vent area. Mites are active after dark.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  3. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Birds do not all moult at the same rate. 18 month old birds are likely to be going through their first major moult.

That having been said, there are also bugs that can be in play along with your hen's other flock mates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by