Losing birds daily!

That's avian flu. The discharge + swelling around the eyes and gasping (also gurgling sounds) is textbook, gape worm doesn't do that. You can't do anything about it as far as treatment goes. Cull the sick birds NOW and give some antibiotic in the water of the flock (it's a precaution, it doesn't treat the flu). I've had this happen to me years ago and had to cull 1/3 of the birds, but it saved the rest. If you keep the sick ones it will spread to everyone except the small number of ones that have been sick before and gotten better since they have natural immunity.

You can't cure avian flu, the bird either gets better or it dies, but the "gets better" percentage is absurdly low, less than 10% in my experience. If you want to wait and see who survives, you are risking the entire flock. Cull the sick birds now, unfortunately it is the only way with the flu. It sucks, it is awful, it will make you feel terrible, I know, because I have been through it, but there is no other way, if you want to save some of them at least.

I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but avian flu is one you can't cure and neither can vets.

Last edited:
That's avian flu. The discharge + swelling around the eyes and gasping (also gurgling sounds) is textbook, gape worm doesn't do that. You can't do anything about it as far as treatment goes. Cull the sick birds NOW and give some antibiotic in the water of the flock (it's a precaution, it doesn't treat the flu). I've had this happen to me years ago and had to cull 1/3 of the birds, but it saved the rest. If you keep the sick ones it will spread to everyone except the small number of ones that have been sick before and gotten better since they have natural immunity.

You can't cure avian flu, the bird either gets better or it dies, but the "gets better" percentage is absurdly low, less than 10% in my experience. If you want to wait and see who survives, you are risking the entire flock. Cull the sick birds now, unfortunately it is the only way with the flu. It sucks, it is awful, it will make you feel terrible, I know, because I have been through it, but there is no other way, if you want to save some of them at least.

I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but avian flu is one you can't cure and neither can vets.
The sick need care, not culling. If they were my birds, I’d give them immune support and a chance to survive.

Attachments

• F0C4F1F3-88F1-4FDE-AF89-CE08858EFF6F.jpeg
    F0C4F1F3-88F1-4FDE-AF89-CE08858EFF6F.jpeg
    321.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

I just spoke with someone Clemson extension and they said that I would be losing more birds if it was avain flu. I am taking a bird that died today and sick bird in for testing tomorrow.

I was searching respiratory issues and came across your post! Out of curiosity, what was the outcome of your chickens? Were they able to give you an answer after testing?

I had an appointment with Clemson Extension but I was not able to go. I started treating my flock with Tylan 200 Injection. I found another post on this forum, and followed the instructions. I put 10 cc per gallon of water and 1/4 cc orally to the sickest birds. I haven’t lost any birds in three days now and they are looking healthier. I had birds with closed eyes and all their eyes are open now. As of today I only hear a light gurgling in three birds. I will update from here.

Infectious coryza comes to mind if there is a bad odor from the faces. If not, then mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) might be more likely. Sulfa antibiotics such as SMZ-TMP or sulfadimethoxine are better for coryza. Tylan is sufficient for treating MG. But bith of those will make your whole flock carriers for life. Most people keep a close flock after a respiratory disease, for the life of the flock. You can usually get a prepaid shipping label for overnight shipping to your state lab for a necropsy. Keep the body cold, not frozen and wrapped in clean garbage bags.

Back
Top Bottom