losing chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kipepeo, Apr 5, 2011.

1. kipepeo

kipepeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NC KS
    This is my 3rd year getting chicks and this is the first year that I am lsing some 4 so far and 2 more don't look good. I have no idea what is going on doing the same thing I have done before they are in a rubbermaid container brooder with heatlamp on top. Dipped everyones beaks in water yesterday and gave them grow gel and then food this morning. They get listless I dipped beaks in h2o again but they won't swallow

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hard to say, but the first thing I'd be checking would be the temperature at chick level.

3. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I am thinking the same thing. Check the temperature in the brooder near the chicks. It might be too hot. Do you have the brooder setup in a way that the chicks can get out from under the heat? I like to use a large brooder with various temperature zones. The chicks will go where they are comfortable.

4. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Sorry about your losses. I see a great many people using the plastic tubs successfully but I have to wonder about ventilation with just an open top. Unless you're changing bedding daily, could ammonia build up at the level of the chicks? I read that it is heavier than air, and can kill. Good luck.

5. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I was also thinking the temp. is too high. When I used a rubbermaid container for my ducklings, I only had a 75-100 watt regular bulb in the reflector lamp.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by