Losing Down Feathers

mckaylaburgess

Chirping
Jul 7, 2020
Went out to the coop this morning, and there were a ton of the shorter downy feathers all over the floor. No blood or anything to suggest a predator. Checked all the girls over, all acting normal except one has an almost bald spot on her stomach. It’s covered with her top layer of feathers now. I gave them some eggs for protein in case it was a protein deficiency, what else should I look for? I haven’t noticed mites but I’m not entirely sure what I’m looking for there.

A friend who has chickens says they lose some feathers in the spring and when it warms up, but I don’t think that sounds right. Someone else suggested she may be going broody?

The bald stomach part makes me think she may have plucked herself to create a brood patch. Is she acting differently - puffed up, clucking...broody? 😉
She is always my broody girl. She was broody last year but didn’t pluck her feathers out, but she definitely turns into a bitty when she goes broody.

Went out to the coop this morning, and there were a ton of the shorter downy feathers all over the floor. No blood or anything to suggest a predator. Checked all the girls over, all acting normal except one has an almost bald spot on her stomach. It’s covered with her top layer of feathers now. I gave them some eggs for protein in case it was a protein deficiency, what else should I look for? I haven’t noticed mites but I’m not entirely sure what I’m looking for there.

A friend who has chickens says they lose some feathers in the spring and when it warms up, but I don’t think that sounds right. Someone else suggested she may be going broody?
This has been happening in my coop also for the last 3 days. Did you ever get an answer to what was happening? Did her chickens turn out okay?

This has been happening in my coop also for the last 3 days. Did you ever get an answer to what was happening? Did her chickens turn out okay?
Hey! Original poster here. She was either molting or broody, she’s fine now and has grown back her feathers. Mine look awful right now because they’re molting so it may be that too!

Back
Top Bottom