losing feathers

Ole rooster

Songster
8 Years
Jun 25, 2011
Milner, Georgia
I've had most all my hens lose feathers and the majority of the time it seemed to be in the winter time. But my green egg layer is losing hers in a way I've not seen. It's not just her down type feathers. It's all of um. Much more and she will be completely plucked. She would be ready for cooking short of gutting her. I've checker her and looked close at her feathers and don't see any mites so I'm wondering do some chickens go to this extreme? I've had her almost 2 years and this is the first time for this. She acts a little listless and really layed back in her movements. Not really peppy. I've got a bald head now I got a bald chicken.

Any ideas?

I've had most all my hens lose feathers and the majority of the time it seemed to be in the winter time. But my green egg layer is losing hers in a way I've not seen. It's not just her down type feathers. It's all of um. Much more and she will be completely plucked. She would be ready for cooking short of gutting her. I've checker her and looked close at her feathers and don't see any mites so I'm wondering do some chickens go to this extreme? I've had her almost 2 years and this is the first time for this. She acts a little listless and really layed back in her movements. Not really peppy. I've got a bald head now I got a bald chicken.

Any ideas?
Have you ever checked out Kung Fu Henny?

Bald chicks rule.LOL
this little half pint is fearless when it come to her and her GF's one and only chick.
She is a frizzle
photo taken a couple weeks ago

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-worst-chicken-molt-pictures-fall-winter-2012

You'd be surprise with how extreme a molt can be :oops:

That chicken looks hilarious!
lau.gif

That chicken should be ashamed running around naked like that. Mine ain't quite that drastic. Some lady on here makes sweaters for her chickens. That one could use one.
barnie.gif

Your chick Probably is just having bad molt, I think!

Last edited:
Our chicks are about 3 months old. They live in a large tractor set up. We move it about once every 2 weeks and I clean out the top at the same time.
Lately, I am noticing an increasing amount of feathers in the upper coop and lower run. They appear to be mostly fuzzy feathers (can you tell I'm new at
this?) There's only a handful of regular type feathers. Whenever we move the tractor, I rake up the debris otherwise my yard would look like one of the chicks
was attacked in it.

I have heard recently that oats can induce molting. My chicks have been getting dry oats as a treat several times a week for probably 2 months.
Do they typically lose and replace feathers at this age? They look and act otherwise healthy. No major bald spots on any of them. Haven't been
too worried about it till I read about the oats inducing molting. Your feedback is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom