Losing hope with chicks that hate me šŸ˜£

Pics
I learned a lesson in training dogs, and it holds true for chickens--never lie to your animal. Faking them out nonchalantly and then suddenly lunging just teaches the chickens to mistrust you more and more.
I can walk up and pick up my chickens, but if one veers away, I never, ever, ever grab. I might sit on the ground and wait for her to hop on my leg, but still I never grab, especially by the leg, which really upsets them. And when I'm holding one (except for a medical issue), she's free to go anytime.
If you need to pick a chicken up, do it at night from their roost when they are slightly comatose. You could even start your taming process there, stroking and cooing to each one a few seconds before placing it back on the roost. But if they start dodging and squawking, stop---they aren't ready for that yet, even in their semi-sleep.
Slowly, patiently, and with honesty.

I learned a lesson in training dogs, and it holds true for chickens--never lie to your animal. Faking them out nonchalantly and then suddenly lunging just teaches the chickens to mistrust you more and more.
I can walk up and pick up my chickens, but if one veers away, I never, ever, ever grab. I might sit on the ground and wait for her to hop on my leg, but still I never grab, especially by the leg, which really upsets them. And when I'm holding one (except for a medical issue), she's free to go anytime.
If you need to pick a chicken up, do it at night from their roost when they are slightly comatose. You could even start your taming process there, stroking and cooing to each one a few seconds before placing it back on the roost. But if they start dodging and squawking, stop---they aren't ready for that yet, even in their semi-sleep.
Slowly, patiently, and with honesty.
:goodpost:

So how do u go about checking them for mites, lice, and health problems if they won't let you pick them up? How do yall get them to go back to coop/run if they won't come with treats? I'm open to suggestions and learning.
If you need to pick a chicken up, do it at night from their roost
I've only tried picking them up at this time since they've been outside.
And still problems.

I just check mine at night after they are roosting. I never chase mine or try to catch them during the day since a neighbor tried that and several of hers dropped dead of heat exhaustion. I wear a little head lamp so I can see what I'm doing and keep my hands free, and aim it away from the hens as much as possible so they CAN'T see and get all riled up. Or I have DH help me and use the light on the phone, mostly covering it with his hand so it's real dim.

I wear a little head lamp so I can see what I'm doing and keep my hands free, and aim it away from the hens as much as possible so they CAN'T see and get all riled up. Or I have DH help me and use the light on the phone, mostly covering it with his hand so it's real dim.

I have a head lamp that shines red light. That way it's not as bright and disruptive.

I never chase mine or try to catch them during the day
I couldn't chase mine if I had to...disabled.
But I do try to herd them to the coop/run whenever it's time for me to go back inside...otherwise they would be dead from neighbor's dog.
We.have a new run on its way and I pray that will solve a lot of these problems!
Thank yall for your help.

My chickens would be snatched by the coyotes lurking just a stone's throw away in the desert if I didn't put them in when their guardian dog needs a break.
When they were 4 week old chicks, allowed a bit of free ranging for the first time, they instinctively stayed close to the pen door. I used a special call "Shoo-Shoo" to herd them into the pen and then gave them some super treats inside--dried soldier worm larvae. I did this at about the same time each day. I also did it with a more panicked note when a hawk came over.
Now they are 4 months old and usually herd right back into the pen with just my call, but some want to stay out longer. I continue calling while getting behind them and using the hose, not to squirt them directly, but on either side of them to funnel them into the pen door, making all other routes raining.
Sometimes, I just use a long branch tapping the ground on the sides I don't want them to run. To them, both the water falling and the stick tapping are impersonal--nobody is trying to bodily grab them.
Now my rooster also helps with herding them, having learned the routine. And then, of course, once inside they go ravenous for the dried worms!!!

My chickens would be snatched by the coyotes lurking just a stone's throw away in the desert if I didn't put them in when their guardian dog needs a break.
When they were 4 week old chicks, allowed a bit of free ranging for the first time, they instinctively stayed close to the pen door. I used a special call "Shoo-Shoo" to herd them into the pen and then gave them some super treats inside--dried soldier worm larvae. I did this at about the same time each day. I also did it with a more panicked note when a hawk came over.
Now they are 4 months old and usually herd right back into the pen with just my call, but some want to stay out longer. I continue calling while getting behind them and using the hose, not to squirt them directly, but on either side of them to funnel them into the pen door, making all other routes raining.
Sometimes, I just use a long branch tapping the ground on the sides I don't want them to run. To them, both the water falling and the stick tapping are impersonal--nobody is trying to bodily grab them.
Now my rooster also helps with herding them, having learned the routine. And then, of course, once inside they go ravenous for the dried worms!!!
I do much the same when herding them...
The only time I've ever even tried picking them up is when they are in the coop for the needed checks as mentioned before.
They come all around me as they are eating n pecking when I'm sitting down out there with them...and I'm not "grabbing" them nor even attempting to touch them.
Perhaps it will get better once they get into their new run that is much larger and we can get into a routine.

I love this!

Back
Top Bottom