Losing little feathers around ears. Molt in year one?

marin chicks

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2015
San Anselmo CA
I have six hens that were born in March 2015. They have laying almost every day and last week my Americauna Easter egged stopped laying all together. She looks like she is losing the little feathers around her ears. Is this a start of a molt or something else. Thanks in advance.

During the first year of a chickens life they go through multiple mini molts, my guess is at that age they are still replacing a few feathers, they shouldn't do a full body molt until next fall. Some do go through a neck molt that can also include the face. So definitely check for mites and any sign of others picking feathers, if they seem fine I would just assume it's a small molt. As far as your EE, mine have never layed through the whole winter, they stop during the coldest months and resume in March or April.

I have an Orpington that was born in March. She started laying at the end of October giving an egg every day and suddenly stopped last week. Everything is completely fine with her health so I expect it is because it's winter. My best guess is that I'll get eggs from her again in March.

Back
Top Bottom