Losing neck feathers

Crawfomc7

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2023
Hi, I have a 9 month old prairie bluebell hen that is losing a lot of feathers around its neck. I’m in Knoxville so it’s been colder but not terribly cold. Anyway, it looks almost like it’s molting but I’ve read that isn’t typical until 16-18 months. I read that mites could be a cause at this age but I checked her and I didn’t see any visible mites. Does anyone have a suggestion on what might be going on, what I should be looking for? Thank you!

Well I just found a thread that seemed to have others with this situation right at 9 months too and they called it a partial molt. I have 17 hens and this is the only one that is in this situation.

Hi, I have a 9 month old prairie bluebell hen that is losing a lot of feathers around its neck. I’m in Knoxville so it’s been colder but not terribly cold. Anyway, it looks almost like it’s molting but I’ve read that isn’t typical until 16-18 months. I read that mites could be a cause at this age but I checked her and I didn’t see any visible mites. Does anyone have a suggestion on what might be going on, what I should be looking for? Thank you!

Well I just found a thread that seemed to have others with this situation right at 9 months too and they called it a partial molt. I have 17 hens and this is the only one that is in this situation.
Can you please post photos?

Loss of feathers around the neck can often be due to molting, but another common cause is being plucked by another bird.

Back
Top Bottom