Losing toenails mystery

4th_Griffin

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2020
Hello. I have 2 ducks 1 drake and 2 geese. The other day i saw my drake (Draco) was limping. When i examined him i found one of his toenails had been caught on something and was almost torn right off. I brought him inside to trim it but by the time i had the scissors ready the toe was gone. He has terrible toenaols from previous owner so i thought that was the problem. Isolated him provided dermagel and cornstarch to stop bleeding.
Then last week i found my goose Twoly in a pool of blood. We thought the drake jad maybe attacked her. Turns out her toenail was gone and she was bledding from past the quick. Got that under control with dermagel and bandage and isolation. Two days later open pen to find my other goose Lucy bleeding severely from toe injury. It took us over an hour to stop the bleeding with pressure and dermagel and eventually a bandage. Finally let her back outside today. Came by this evening to discover that she's lost another toe on the other foot. Same treatment.
We have searched the pen for hazards that could cause this and cant find any. Twoly was on the ice when she lost hers but Lucy was blocked off from the ice area for both of hers. The ducks have lived in the pen for 5 years without these problems but the geese are new this year (Lucy since last July and Twoly since november). Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? They all had their nails trimmed about a week before this started happening. Any insight you could provide would be most appreciated.

d
Hello. I have 2 ducks 1 drake and 2 geese. The other day i saw my drake (Draco) was limping. When i examined him i found one of his toenails had been caught on something and was almost torn right off. I brought him inside to trim it but by the time i had the scissors ready the toe was gone. He has terrible toenaols from previous owner so i thought that was the problem. Isolated him provided dermagel and cornstarch to stop bleeding.
Then last week i found my goose Twoly in a pool of blood. We thought the drake jad maybe attacked her. Turns out her toenail was gone and she was bledding from past the quick. Got that under control with dermagel and bandage and isolation. Two days later open pen to find my other goose Lucy bleeding severely from toe injury. It took us over an hour to stop the bleeding with pressure and dermagel and eventually a bandage. Finally let her back outside today. Came by this evening to discover that she's lost another toe on the other foot. Same treatment.
We have searched the pen for hazards that could cause this and cant find any. Twoly was on the ice when she lost hers but Lucy was blocked off from the ice area for both of hers. The ducks have lived in the pen for 5 years without these problems but the geese are new this year (Lucy since last July and Twoly since november). Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? They all had their nails trimmed about a week before this started happening. Any insight you could provide would be most appreciated.
o they not have enough nutrition? are they eating normally?

Back
Top Bottom