Losing weight. Decreased appetite.

LokiSnakes

Hatching
Jul 31, 2021
Hello. I am a new chicken keeper and my young hen Rex doesn’t seem to be doing well. She doesn’t have as much of an appetite as she used to and she is losing weight. She hatched 5/11/21. Eating grower feed. I’m not 100% sure what kind of chicken she is. She hatched from a blue egg. I plan on taking her to the vet once I can make an appointment. I’m just looking for opinions on what might be going on.

Attachments

• 69B7A2C6-993E-4944-A8FD-FF355897B385.jpeg
    69B7A2C6-993E-4944-A8FD-FF355897B385.jpeg
    784 KB · Views: 13
Her poo varies quite a lot. Usually it looks pretty “normal” but sometimes it’s runny and smells a lot worse. The other day I noticed one of her poops looked really clear? Not sure what that could mean.

Her poo varies quite a lot. Usually it looks pretty “normal” but sometimes it’s runny and smells a lot worse. The other day I noticed one of her poops looked really clear? Not sure what that could mean.
The smelly poo is probably cecal poop - totally normal and totally stinky. Clear = diarrhea or maybe just the result of more water intake (like on hot days) or something she ate (watermelon, for example).

I would check to see that her crop is emptying at night. Feel her crop at night, take her food, and then check to see that it's empty in the morning. Crop issues can cause weight loss and decreased appetite, and they can also be symptoms of other illnesses.

I felt of her crop just now. It feels firm, but a bit “squishy”. How can I tell if it has emptied? How will it feel differently? I’m so sorry for the newbie questions.

I felt of her crop just now. It feels firm, but a bit “squishy”. How can I tell if it has emptied? How will it feel differently? I’m so sorry for the newbie questions.
No need to apologize! When I first got chicks, I didn't even know what a crop was! 😂

Chickens digest food and empty their crops overnight. It should feel squishy now, but not bloated/air filled like a balloon. In the morning before she eats anything, it should be completely empty and her chest should be flat.

Ohhh okay! I feel bad taking her food away, and especially because she’s so skinny (does she look emaciated or just thin?), but I guess she may not want to eat much at night anyway?

and thank you!

Ohhh okay! I feel bad taking her food away, and especially because she’s so skinny (does she look emaciated or just thin?), but I guess she may not want to eat much at night anyway?

and thank you!
They don't eat at night, usually. I can't tell if she's thin. You can tell by checking her keel bone (breast bone). You should be able to feel it, but it shouldn't be pronounced. I have a girl who is very underweight right now, and I can actually pinch hers.

It does feel pronounced. I can actually put it between my fingers. I hope that she can bounce back from this. I feel so terrible for not realizing something was wrong sooner. I really love this chicken. :’(

It does feel pronounced. I can actually put it between my fingers. I hope that she can bounce back from this. I feel so terrible for not realizing something was wrong sooner. I really love this chicken. :’(
Gotta figure out what's wrong first.lots of things can cause chickens to stop eating: illness, weather, stress, broodiness... If she's pooping, she's eating, right? Weight loss could be due to illness, worms, mites, lice...

Is she penned or does she forage at all?

Back
Top Bottom