Loss of feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by linlinscooby78, Mar 14, 2012.

1. linlinscooby78

linlinscooby78 New Egg

Mar 14, 2012
    I have a couple of chickens starting to lose feathers at the base of their tails on their back by their oil gland. One has lost an area of about 3" x 1", and the other 2 are just starting to lose. They are around 11 months old. I feed them the same organic food and they freerange in my yard. They get daily treats from scratch to fresh produce. I'm not sure if this is molting or if they are having something. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!!

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    First - welcome to BYC!

Do you have a rooster? That sounds like the spot where a rooster mounts and hangs on to his girls. Many of my roo's favorites have bald patches on their backs. If you look in the everything else for sale section, you can find aprons for your girls.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Also inspect them for lice/mites and watch for picking as well.

4. linlinscooby78

linlinscooby78 New Egg

Mar 14, 2012
    I do not have a rooster, sorry, should have put that in there. I will check for bugs, thanks.

5. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    We had a hen that molted and looked good for a bit. But then started looking like you describe. She had mites. So I'd follow Dawg's suggestion and check them over closely for mites. Check online and you'll find some pictures to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by