lost 2 birds yesterday

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TinaSwarr, Apr 17, 2012.

1. TinaSwarr

TinaSwarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    I am undecided if it is due to the recent food change or the sudden heat? because I have 30 chicks coming up I am in the process of changing from layer pellets to purina all flock. now for a little background, both birds that I lost were freedom, rangers that I kept over last fall (this was done only for numbers, I was down to only a couple layers) as time went I was determined to hatch some of these birds crossed with leghorn rooster (first batch was zero second batch in bator now). I found one of the birds around noon yesterday in the nest box when I picked it up it had very bad prolapse., the second bird was in the evening found laying flat on its back by the feeder....now the weather took a sudden turn yesterday from 60 for a high to a sudden 87,,,,so do you think there's a problem with feed change or the sudden heat....and I know these birds are not meant to live this long and maybe it is time to give up on my experiment and just put the rest in the freezer? the reason for my numbers going down in the layer flock was due to the fact that they thought the grass was greener on the other side of the road,,,,fixed with fences and a few wing clippings.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    So sorry for your losses [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by