Lost 2 Dogs in a Few Days....

TipsyDog

Songster
10 Years
May 14, 2009
Aregua, Paraguay
hit.gif

I lost my almost 15 year old Standard Poodle, Lizzy, on Saturday. I had to have her put down because she seemed to have a stroke or another nasty round of vestibular disease. Carried her (55 lbs) in and out of the house for 3 weeks and brought her water and food as she could no longer stand up straight. We finally decided this was not going to get better and buried her in the rain on Saturday.

hit.gif

Today I lost my 10 year old toy poodle, Lucy. She was a beautiful picture perfect poodle. She was a seizure dog (since age of 1) and I took her to the vet for more phenobarbitrol. There were many other issues creeping up with her and the expenses were climbing so I made a spur of the moment decision and just had her put down.
hit.gif
hit.gif

I am so wracked with guilt right now! Lucy trusted me and spent 10 years on my lap and always with me. I hope I did the right thing. I feel so bad and guilty for doing it that I'm having a stiff drink right now. I feel like such a terrible person. Poor little dog!
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

I don't think I will ever own dogs again when my others are all gone, the vet is so expensive and the grief is just miserable!
hit.gif
hit.gif

I have to go out and bury Lucy now - this really sucks!!!
hit.gif

It always hurts to put down our dogs, but the way I see it they most likely don't want to be carried around, given meds, and having seizures. They want to run, play and live their lives without medical issues. When it gets to the point that they're old and sickly, you're doing them a favor. It's harder on us then them.
hugs.gif
I'm so sorry for your loss, but it sounds like you did the best for them.

I'm very sorry too. It's not easy, but it's our responsibility as caretakers and friends of the critters that rely upon us. .

We had our old man Wolfie euthanized 3 weeks ago- and he shall live forever in our hearts and memories.

Many
hugs.gif
to you, and a fresh box of kleenex.

hit.gif
I'm so sorry. You know you did the right thing as I'm sure the idea wouldn't have crossed your mind otherwise. It does suck. But I'll bet the joy you get from your dogs (for years) will override the pain of loss (time does heal) sometime in the future, and you will aquire another dog. In the meantime, allow yourself to grieve and try to focus on the living. You'll be OK.
hugs.gif

I'm sorry to hear of your loss but you did the right thing and should not feel bad about your decision.
I am getting close to this point with my old springer grump - she is nearly 14 and has lost the strength in her back legs. She has great trouble getting up when she has lain for any time and if nudged will fall and be unable to get back up. I will take her to the vet to see if they can give her anything but think we are close to having her put to sleep. it is the worst decision to have to make but it is the best for the dog.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

I'm sorry, for your loss. I put my dog down, last Friday,and eulogized him, here, in BYC.
He came into my life, a free spirit, and departed, the same, and my life was better, because of him.
Honestly, though, the burden is lifted, that he's not out annoying some neighbor, or laying in a ditch, somewhere, hurt.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I still feel guilty though. We just buried her. My DH works late shift and I kept hitting rocks last night so I had to wait for him and the pick.

It is an appropriate cold, gray, blustery day and 45 degrees. End of a season. May my Lucy baby rest in peace...
hit.gif

I am so sorry fr your loss. What a sad thing for you guys to go through.
sad.png

I too have a seizure dog (a chinese crested, 5 years old now) and it is really hard to cope with some days. hugs go out to you and your family. And don't make yourself sick over feeling bad. It wont help you, and your dogs are in a better place now.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom