Lost 2 teenagers RIRs/Need suggestions for a dog!!!

countrygirlatheart

Songster
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Huffman Texas
Got home yesterday evening, went to go check on my chickens since this past weekend we moved the babies into the "Big House" with the others, and I notice everyone's quiet, spread apart, not "harassing" each other (odd
hu.gif
), looked over to where the babies were "huddled" and there's only 5!! I'm missing 2! Call my dh & youngest ds to help me, we look all in the coop, run, under the coop house, out in the yard (even though they are not let out of their yard unless we are home) just in case they got out ....
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
, we can't find them anywhere!!!! These are ones that I raised since they were 1 day old!!! My husband says it's time we get a dog, not a big dog, a small to medium dog because obviously our Cats (who do not bother the chickens at all, if they get too close, the cats get yelled at by the chickens and pecked at but yet will bring them lizards to "share"
gig.gif
) are not watching over them. So any suggestions on a good dog breed that won't go after my babies??? Also, we have an inground pool, so we cant have a water loving or long haired dog!

Last edited:
I know this is a big dog... but our golden just looks at the baby birds and sniffs them. I swear she would give them a lick if she thought I would let her. No aggression to the birds. On the other hand, as she is a big dog... she keeps other things at bay.

For small to medium dogs... how about a Blue Lacy. They are the state dog of Texas and don't go after birds, but will keep predators away. Or one of those herding dogs...Shetland Sheepdogs? Oh darn... I can't remember their names. But they are medium herders.

thanks for the info...but I thought border collies weren't good with chickens??
idunno.gif
I just dont know...and still upset over losing two babies. keep the info coming people...i appreciate it.

BORDER COLLIE... that was the name I was thinking of.

Now... how they are with chickens??? I am not sure. I have 1/2 golden 1/2 border collie and they attacked a chicken that came into our yard. The chicken lived, so I don't know if they were attacking or just getting in real close for a look. We had a stray cat that had kittens in our barn and the dogs loved them. They carried them around in their mouth whenever we weren't looking. They didn't HURT them, but that was not good for the kittens. They also tree anything they can. They will sit in front of the trees in the front yard and stare for hours. We assume it is a squirrel they are looking at!

The chicken that came into our yard was way before we got chickens. They look at the coop but don't give it much mind. However, if the chickens were out... I don't know how they would do. They weren't TRAINED with chickens...

I'm not to sure that you would want a herding dog at all. When herders are bored they make up things to do and trying to herd the birds might be one of them. I've seen sheep get run down to the point of death by a young border collie that snuck in the pasture all day. My corgi has protected my chickens twice now but I wouldn't trust her alone with them. Not because she would eat them but because she would make up "games" to play with them.

I would wait and see if anyone else has input I plan on getting an anatolian sheppard they are big but great livestock dogs. They might be better suited for my needs than yours but do some research and good luck!

I'm sorry about your babies.
hugs.gif

With a herding dog, make sure it knows NO MOUTHS. I have a herding group mix (heeler, shepherd and anything else I'd wager) and he's good with our chicks. The first couple of weeks if he'd stare at them too long I'd tell him leave it and he got the picture after that. A good thing about herders is they are incredibly trainable and smart. You can probably teach them to other things around the house for you too. When I worked at a horse barn, he used to carry extra lead ropes and halters. He'll bring the groceries in from the car (if they are light weight and in cloth bags) but sometimes he gets excited and shakes it so no bread carrying for him. He is never as happy as when he has a job to do.

Hello, I am sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

I 'm not sure which breed of dog is BEST you YOU.
hu.gif

I think it also depends on HOW the dog is raised, and from what age.
We have a Heeler mix, we got her at a few months old. She was to train to help with herding our goats. The chickens are a new thing, so she has learned well.
clap.gif
BUt not to say ALL Heelers would be!!!!
hu.gif

I brought home a little beagle pup, with the intentions of turning it into a chicken guard dog... duh! He'd rather pull their tail feathers.
smack.gif

My boxer/bulldog mix though is turning into a great watch dog. He's still got some puppy in him, but he knows the chickens are off limits. Mine do not free range, but Bo (the boxer) so far has kept the critters out of the yard and away from the coops/runs. And he's so loving!!

26140_bo2.jpg

And see, that's just it, when we are not at home, the chickens are in their run, but when we get home (sometimes) but especially on the weekends when we are outside, we let them "roam" the yard and enjoy it very much. Even on mother's day, when it was at our house, everyone was sitting back watching them
pop.gif
pop.gif
pop.gif
and enjoying the show. I know with whatever we get, it has to be trained, but I am nervous and not sure what to get
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom