Lost 2 today.....

So sorry for your loss. You did everything possible to save them. I have had to integrate a few times and I am truly a "Mother Hen" when it comes to chicks. I know I keep mine in the basement way too long, but it's just a security thing with me. I am able to separate them in their run so they see each other for a few weeks without actually coming into contact. At night, I put them in the coop in a cage to get acclimated to the coop life. After about two weeks, I let them all free range together. Then I start putting them on the roost at night after the older girls have put themselves in the coop. It's a process, but I'm sure I overdo it! Good luck to you!

I remember the fields. GHS myself. It has changed a lot but I’ve not left yet!
Remember in the late 1980’s when they did the malathion spray by planes? Might have even been early 1990’s. All of The Southland I think but I think all of Glendora was done. I never saw another fruit fly again until I moved to Oregon.

Sorry for your loss :(. We had some cracker days here last summer which got to that 47C (118F) mark. You did everything you reasonably could to keep them cool. Heat like that is horrible, so please don't second guess yourself.

I don't know what you use for the flooring in your coop/run, but in climates that get to that sort of heat, I highly recommend using woodchip and mulch so you can give it all a really good hose down when it's hot to get everything wet and cool. Maybe even buy a few bags of ice and spread it around the ground for them to enjoy. Sand and dirt both prove to be difficult to displace the heat, and sand in particular is near impossible to cool as only the top layer really gets wet.

If you're looking for some gorgeous heat hardy breeds, my wyandotte and ancona seem to barely notice when the mercury gets into the 40's (105-120F).
We have straw down. We found that sand caused micro cuts on their feet. So we have layers of straw. That seems to be working. I missed today and the two we have left (Americuana and barred rock) seem to enjoy the misting more than the the two fluffy ones that didn’t make it. I will be looking for heartier breeds. I just hope when we integrate after raising new chicks, the other two accept them. They’re heartier, but brattier than the 2 docile ones that passed. My Americuana stopped laying (2 yo) and decided to start crowing like a rooster in the morning.

Remember in the late 1980’s when they did the malathion spray by planes? Might have even been early 1990’s. All of The Southland I think but I think all of Glendora was done. I never saw another fruit fly again until I moved to Oregon.
I do remember that! A lot of koi died! Thank good I did t have chickens back then!

So sorry for your loss. You did everything possible to save them. I have had to integrate a few times and I am truly a "Mother Hen" when it comes to chicks. I know I keep mine in the basement way too long, but it's just a security thing with me. I am able to separate them in their run so they see each other for a few weeks without actually coming into contact. At night, I put them in the coop in a cage to get acclimated to the coop life. After about two weeks, I let them all free range together. Then I start putting them on the roost at night after the older girls have put themselves in the coop. It's a process, but I'm sure I overdo it! Good luck to you!
Thank you. I’ll take your advice. I kept these girls in house for 3 months when they were babies!

This day and time I’m not sure if any person is without A/C (I’m certain there are), but I honestly cannot imagine the stress, the anxiety, the everything else it brings on. I haven’t been to LA in the summer months, so I was wondering if you have humidity in conjunction with the heat? Here in Alabama you can cut it with a knife and I hate it. I feel for all the older people who are suffering from the heat as well.
I do worry about my chickens and my two outside dogs suffering from the heat. The horses do get hot, but several of them will roll in the water at the edge of the pond. My oldest dog is an outside dog. He will be 11 the 17th of this month, but he seems to be holding up fairly well. Both the dogs get under our big deck, along with our four original hens and stay cool. They lay next to the vents under the house. Unfortunately we have too much cool air under the house. I suspect an air duct leak, but they enjoy it.
I am sorry for your loss and hope you can find a couple of the Sussex. I know you will love their personality.
Depending on where your at in the LA area, dictates the weather. On any given day, The beaches can be 75-80, The mountains 70-75, Inland Valley where I am 90-100, LA 80-90, and the desert 100+. Humidity is usually low, unless we get a rain storm, or your near the beach. Being a former truck driver I know the humidity you all get in the southeast, and to be honest I couldn't live in it. Florida is the worst! Oh and BTW I don't have A/C...I got what they call a swamp cooler. Works fine up to about 95-100 cause of low humidity

Depending on where your at in the LA area, dictates the weather. On any given day, The beaches can be 75-80, The mountains 70-75, Inland Valley where I am 90-100, LA 80-90, and the desert 100+. Humidity is usually low, unless we get a rain storm, or your near the beach. Being a former truck driver I know the humidity you all get in the southeast, and to be honest I couldn't live in it. Florida is the worst! Oh and BTW I don't have A/C...I got what they call a swamp cooler. Works fine up to about 95-100 cause of low humidity
It

It actually got quite humid later that day and for the following days arter the 118°. Where we live in the San Gabriel Valley, 105° in the summer and into the first of fall is not uncommon. But the chickens seem to “handle” that temperature fine.

The heat is here again, we hit 112 yesterday according to my thermometer and even with misters, and with the coop and run covered in shade by the big chinaberry tree we lost one of our Orps. She was just a year old this month and one of two broodies we have.
My five weekolds on the other hand weren't even panting. I wet down their shavings and they stayed cool enough all day

The heat is here again, we hit 112 yesterday according to my thermometer and even with misters, and with the coop and run covered in shade by the big chinaberry tree we lost one of our Orps. She was just a year old this month and one of two broodies we have.
My five weekolds on the other hand weren't even panting. I wet down their shavings and they stayed cool enough all day

Back
Top Bottom