lost a chick last night ?

jppayne34

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 17, 2010
well i went to check on the chicks this morning and one was laying their dead. i got all 24 safe and sound from ideal on the 3rd and they have been doing real good from what i could tell. then this happened. i checked to make sure it wasn't a pasty butt so i am at a loss here. should i or do i need to be doing anything to make sure they are good.

What are you feeding?
What type of bedding are they on? Is it dry?
Any drafts?
Temperature of brooder?
Are their poops normal or any have blood or bad diarrhea?
Any symptoms noticed prior to her passing--noise while breathing, listlessness, etc.?
Did she have a full crop?
Any odor from her--including her mouth?
Wounds?
What size is their brooder?
Is there enough circulation (no drafts though) for the size of their brooder?

Do you have more than one feeding station for that many chicks? Some chicks won't let others get near the food if not enough space around the feeder so its best to have 2 or more depending on how many chicks.

Check all the others and be sure no wet litter (mold) or wet food. Keep waterer clean as chicks have a habit of pooping in both
sickbyc.gif

Sometimes though you just have a chick who fails to thrive and there's nothing you could have done. One loss out of 24 chicks is in the normal survival range.

What are you feeding? chick starter medicated
What type of bedding are they on? Is it dry? they are on pine shavings and it is dry
Any drafts? no
Temperature of brooder? 97
Are their poops normal or any have blood or bad diarrhea? looks normal some is watery
Any symptoms noticed prior to her passing--noise while breathing, listlessness, etc.? nothing at all
Did she have a full crop? dont know what this means newbe
Any odor from her--including her mouth? i picked her up and didnt notice anything
Wounds? no
What size is their brooder? it is close to six feet long and 2 1/2 to 3 feet across, dog box that was cleaned up before i ever put them in it
Is there enough circulation (no drafts though) for the size of their brooder?

Do you have more than one feeding station for that many chicks? Some chicks won't let others get near the food if not enough space around the feeder so its best to have 2 or more depending on how many chicks.

Check all the others and be sure no wet litter (mold) or wet food. Keep waterer clean as chicks have a habit of pooping in both sickbyc

Sometimes though you just have a chick who fails to thrive and there's nothing you could have done. One loss out of 24 chicks is in the normal survival range.
57820_img_3787.jpg

i have the top of the box put right at the bottom so they run back and forth through what would be the dog door. it also has pine shavings in it and the water is set up so they cannot step in it but its not to high they have been drinking no problem

Most of what you are doing is OK and the size of brooder is just fine for now but in two weeks or so they'll need more room as they grow fast! You also will need to lower the temperature in a day or so by 5 degrees. It looks like you have enough feeder space as well. I would still add a second for as they grow they'll need it.
smile.png

I would recommend more research of chicken anatomy as knowing about the crop is critical. Basically it's their food "storage area" although some digestive breakdown occurs. A few serious maladies can occur regarding the crop that you'll need to know how to treat. Just knowing how to locate it and whether its full at night and small in the morning helps determine the health of the chicken. You might find info if you do a search of this group (upper right hand of this screen).

Back
Top Bottom