Lost a duckling last night. Working on another layer of protection...

Quote:
I train mine to be herded when they are little ducklings.
I use a long stick to guide them around.
After awhile they know the drill and where I want
them to go.
Sometimes you have 1 or 2 that want to veer off but usually they go where I want them to.

Quote:
I suggested a predator proof shelter/coop not pen.
To make my old critter shed we used scrap lumber so it wasn't expensive to make and while its pretty spartan in appearance it does the job. It has solid doors and hardware fabric on the windows. The floor is dirt so on the side walls we have some wolmanized 2" x 6" boards sunk down into the ground to keep critters from digging under but I've never had a predators try to dig under a building. I think most predators are more opportunists than cunning and simply putting your birds in a building at night will cut your losses big time.
We've been here for 30 years and I can count on 2 hands the number of birds we've lost to predators.
Any losses were due to hawks during the day (all bantam chickens) and 2 incidences of stray dog attacks (chickens) and 2 times when I neglected to go after some brat ducks that didin't want to go in for the night.

Last edited:
Quote:
Won't work for me. My shelter is in the middle of a grove of maples and bam in a designated wetlands area. It borders a four acre pond. They just run around and behind trees and circle back again. Furthermore, some of the hens can't stand each other and the fighting gets pretty bad when they are confined.

There is now an 8' x 16' three sided lean to added to the shelter.

37123_duck_house_outside.jpg

Quote:
I train mine to be herded when they are little ducklings.
I use a long stick to guide them around.
After awhile they know the drill and where I want
them to go.
Sometimes you have 1 or 2 that want to veer off but usually they go where I want them to.

Okay - I guess it's time for this picture (as much as I cringe that I'm sharing it)

31977_shannon_police2.jpg

roll.png

When first herding mine, I "corralled" them. I used scrap lumber, lawn furniture and big rocks to make the path I wanted them to walk to their night house. It was a bit awkward the first few times, but by the end of the week it was easy peasy. The following week I took out all the corralling stuff and have never had any real problems 'cept the few times I have a brat. My female chinese goose is usually makes sure everyone goes in.

My ducks and geese excluding my muscovies herd very well too. I have been doing it since they were babies. I can use a stick or just my arms. It is very useful when I herd them into their house every night. My scovies do not herd well at all though. I think its because I got them as adults and they never learned.

Back
Top Bottom