1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Lost a goose - get a friend for remaining?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by BeanJeepin, Mar 2, 2013.

1. BeanJeepin

BeanJeepin Hatching

Mar 2, 2013
    We very unexpectedly lost a goose last week. Embden, very, very sad. The sweetheart Embden we have left seems very lonely. She is in with 8 ducks and 13 chickens but really liked having her buddy around. (all females)

Do I get another? If I order from Metzer I have to get three, wasn't really looking to do that, but I might. If I get three goslings will they/she ignore each other - will she still be an outcast? Do I try to pick one up off CL this spring/summer? Do I get all females? A male? Argh....

2. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Is she imprinted? If all else fails just give her extra attention. I'm not sure how broody geese are but how about letting her hatch fertilized eggs? Geese have strong social bonds and her babies will keep her great company.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

If you decide to go with goslings, they may bond really well, let her see the goslings but not be able to be with them so she can't hurt them, she most likely wouldn't but we should always use caution when introducing. Then when they are fully feathered let them be out with her but tstill separated till you feel she can be trusted with them, Iain Utah gave her African ganders some gosling to rear last year and they did great. I am not sure how old the gosling were when she let the ganders have them, if you pick up one from craiglist that is another good option especially after Easter, so many people will buy ducklings and gosling on impulse then realize they don't want them so the adds will be flooded in people trying to find homes.Getting all females would be fine, or getting your goose a gander, the only thing you have to remember is when mating season comes around ganders can get moody and thats another thing to deal with. but you could decide you want goslings that way so you'd have the option. Either one is a win for your lonely goose. Please let us know what you decide.

4. DawnB

DawnB Chirping

The other thing you can do is see if Craigslist has any geese available that's about her size. I had a gander I adopted that had lost his mate and that's how I found him a new girlfriend [​IMG]. He was really mopey too. He was with a flock of chickens and a couple of ducks that he was raised with, but he was pining for a friend.

The lady I happened to find was very sweet. She only lived about a half hour away. She and her boys raised ducks and geese for 4H and were looking to thin out their flock. The birds were very well taken care of and we got a great goose (and my gander is VERY happy now). All for gas money and $10!

Just remember that you'll have to quarantine the new bird for a time. Good luck on your search!!

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by