Lost a hen- no clue

dawnangel

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 15, 2012
Lost my favorite hen today, my young barred rock, sweet and friendly. Over a year since we've had problems. I've haven't a clue what really got her. Found a strike spot of feathers in one spot. Then a trail of feathers leading to a pile of more feathers.. and that's it. No more was found. Any ideas what leaves such a trail. I was thinking of maybe a fox.. it did occur in the early morning maybe 8 or 9 this morning. I'd really like to know what I am up against since we're not home much during the day. We close em up at night, but can't defend in the day time when we're not here.

thanks guys.

gonna set up a trap.. see what we get.

Could be raccoon also. We have lost 3 to coons- one just tonight when it was still light out and they were free ranging. Snatched her from right outside our back door and we heard the commotion- chased it off. They killed her but didn't get a chance to eat her. :( Crafty little jerks. We are going to start trapping them and disposing of them.

Any ideas how to trap a fox or a coon. We've gotten a couple possums with some stray leftovers, and got a Mr. Stinky the other day... that **** trap still sorta smells. Our hens are pets, and we only have 3. I'd like to keep what we have left. Would marshmallows get us a raccoon. i think it might be a fox, I don't want they kind of a determined pest around. Raccoons, I'd heard they don't so much as eat the whole thing, but I bet a really hungry one would eat what it gets. Any ideas how to get somebody in our trap tonight.
thanks

Nice catch.... I think I can manage a set up like that. I don't have any chicks to bait it with, but I do have a small young hen. I think the scariest bit is that this looks like late afternoon, it's not even dark. Went out this morning to let my darlings out, when I think I saw it... slinking along my fence. It was either the fox our our neighbors cat, it was dark still, and I didn't have any glasses on. Well the girls are going to stay in a little longer today... til I can get out and supervise for a while. Thank you for the link, and the ideas.

Back
Top Bottom