Lost a hen yesterday, another sick today.

Chris&Robin

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 22, 2011
We have an Easter Egger - Am/RIR cross, 3-4 mo, unknown exact weight but small. She is breathing heavy with her beak open, very lethargic, not opening eyes and her eyes are glassy/cloudy. She was fairly active yesterday, but last night when we came home she wasn't moving around much, she was huddled up with her eyes closed. This morning it was a completely different story, not moving around at all. We had one with the same symptoms yesterday morning. We lost the bird last night. We had 4 birds, the other two do not currently appear to have any symptoms. She does not have any bleeding, traumas or injuries. We have been using Layena w/ Omega 3, and water is always available. We have separated her, and gave her food and water. She has not eaten or drank since we separated her. We would like to do everything possible to help her or at least prevent our other birds from getting sick. The other 2 birds are housed in our small chicken coop. It is big enough for about 6 birds with pine bedding and we recently added DE.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I lost a hen on Oct 9th. She had been staying in the nest and mostly sleeping, and on the third day she was gone to chicken heaven. I have no idea what she had that took her. There was no drainage of any kind, or any other symptom that I could see. I am baffled. Another chicken I have has a sore on or in her outlet. She constantly had poop all over her bottom area and I clean it off and last time put desitin on there, and I also have antibiotics in the water. She seems to walk a little funny, but I would too if my but was sore! She does not seem to be able to roost like the other chickens so I'm not sure what is up, but I will continue to treat her as she has been just a sweet girl and he is almost 3 years old. The chicken that died was a rhode island red and this one with the but problem is a buff orpington - both same age!

Was the DE food grade? If not, remove it immediately. Also, if there is poop on the hen's bottom (like with the hen in the second post) I'd suspect Cocci and woudl treat with liquid Sulmet mixed in their drinking water right away.

Quote:
The DE is food grade. The second hen passed just a few hours ago. The others seem to be doing well still.

Does anybody know if there is anything else we can do for the other hens in the mean time so that they will not get ill? Any medicines we can give them as a precaution?

Back
Top Bottom