Lost a hen yesterday

pattgal

Songster
9 Years
Apr 20, 2010
New Brunswick, Canada
I heard some squabbling yesterday about mid-day. I thought nothing of it. one of them might have laid an egg for all I know
When we did our head count last night one of my red hens was missing. we looked everywhere. and again this morning but still nothing. I figure she would've come home by now
this happened once before when we added a few hens but I went looking for that one at dusk and found her right away tucked in the compost pile.
I'm wondering if it's too early in the season to be free ranging. I know alot of you on here range all winter whether its 2 feet or 5 feet of snow.
but like the other day I saw a fox in the yard. we have been here for years and never saw anything but deer and eagles.
I'm thinking maybe it's the time of year when there is not enough prey out there to feed the predators, so my chickens are more of a target

poor chickens.
sad.png

Still no sign of her. there is a big storm coming in. Can I assume she got snatched by something or should I expect her to come home
I'm still hoping she could come home although I know it's a slim chance
Are RIR supposed to be good free rangers? as far as foraging and staying out f danger. will the rooster protect the young and the hens?

Back
Top Bottom