Lost a pullet

Just thinking about sitting out at night with my gun. I don't like to hurt any animal , but this time, it's war. My feathered family was attacked!

Last edited:
Just thinking about sitting out at night with my gun. I don't like to hurt any animal , but this time, it's war. My feathered family was attacked!
I don't blame you one bit-- I feel the same, I don't want kill any living creature unless it's for food or flock protection.
If I have done my part to safeguard my birds but still have an issue with predators, I will shoot them.

Since I posted the loss is my beautiful rooster and hen along with 2 baby pullets, I'm now thinking a fox killed them. My neighbor saw a fox a week earlier and also heard it nights before. Plus, the one pullet that was against the run fence with it's head missing dug up from where I buried it. I raked the soil back in place, feathers and all,only to find it dug up again yesterday morning. I'm tempted to put chicken thighs laced with rat poison in the hole and let the bast**d dig up again. But I fear neighborhood vats may get to it. Any suggestions? I'm going to try to post a pic of my precious rooster, Amadeus,his hens, Tina (killed) and Peaches, who survives.

My post was riddled with typos. Sorry. Rather upset. What I was trying to say was that I saw no visible signs of any break-ins.throughout my yard where I have a fenced-in dog yard there are a lot of orange chicken feathers one pile at the gate and another almost like a trail to the other gate these must be the feathers of Tina my one year old hen and the one little girl. then out through the side yard into the wooded area I found feathers from my beautiful rooster.I just can't believe he's gone I would get so mad at him because he would pack me everytime I put freshwater in the coop. he was an Americuana and he had the cutest fuzzy cheeks.

Welcome to BYC! Do you have the top part of your fenced in dog yard securely covered? Most of those dog yards that I have seen are made of chain-link fencing. I have seen cats that jump up there and can walk along the tops of them. Also any type of predator bird can just fly right in and fly back off with one.

The dog yard is just fenced around a portion of the yard. The chicken run is closed over the top.

The dog yard is just fenced around a portion of the yard. The chicken run is closed over the top.

Check for any weakness in any part of it. Also check for tracks. A couple of years ago 2 of my neighbors had all of their chickens killed off by dogs that belonged to other people, but were let to run loose! Those dogs are now dead!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom