1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost all my chickens today.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Noobiechickluv, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Noobiechickluv

Noobiechickluv Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    Mayberry NC
    This morning as I was going out to feed my flock, I found three wild dogs in the run. They killed every one of my chicks. It was absolute carnage. The dogs are trapped in the run, and we are waiting for animal control.

I am heartbroken. My husband has tried to console me. He says that now that we know the weak spot, we can fix it and get more chickens, but I don't know if I can stomach it. We have lost a few before. One got out and got killed by a dog, and I lost one to an infection caused by a prolapsed vent. Losing one is sad, but losing all 10 at the same time is just devastating.

Sorry guys, I guess I just needed to vent to folks who get how I feel.

2. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Very sorry for your loss. You are a very compassionate person to have called animal control.

I hope you decide to start a new flock, once your run is fortified.

3. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    So sorry for your loss.....

4. YonahKluck

YonahKluck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2013
    White County, GA.
    I am very sorry, I can only repeat 'petrel'. Hopefully the owners of the attackers can be identified and you seek and receive compensation.

5. Noobiechickluv

Noobiechickluv Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    Mayberry NC
    Thanks everyone for your kind words. I just started looking into electric fencing. Now that I'm over the shock, I know I want some new chicks in the spring, but this time I'm gonna make that run seem like Ft. Knox!

6. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    So sorry for your loss... Do you have any pictures of your coop and run? Hardware cloth is a good wire to use. We buried patio stones sideways in the ground all around our run to stop digging predators. It's a lot of work but for almost 2 years our chickens have been safe (knocking on wood).
    [​IMG]

7. helios617

helios617 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2013
    Washington
    sorry [​IMG]

8. wormraiser

wormraiser Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2013
    warrior Alabama
    Sorry to hear about that.[​IMG]

9. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Very sorry for your losses. I highly recommend electric net fencing. I have one setup around my coop, and have not had a single loss since the fence went up.

10. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by