Lost all my polish... too cold?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kittykorat, Feb 13, 2015.

1. kittykorat

kittykorat Songster

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    I have a mixed flock. I had 4 polish that I got in a batch of assorted rare pullets from Meyers last spring, but they all passed this winter. It has been brutally cold and snowy. All the other birds seem fine, Could it be just too cold for Polish?

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Free Ranging

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    The polish are small. Less mass. Cold could finish them off then. You did not mention loosing any other from the batch of 17. I am assuming that they were not in a heated coop. What were the other hens? standards or banties? If it was a certain disease, then I assume it would not have stopped only on these. SORRY TO HEAR SAD NEWS. I had a polish, but lost her to predators during summer. [​IMG]

3. kittykorat

kittykorat Songster

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    The other birds are 5 easter egger, 3 wyandottes, a couple marans, brahma, cochin. All heavy breeds.I didn't lose any other birds.
    The coop is not insulated/heated, and it's been a bad winter here.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  4. Cabin Katie

Cabin Katie In the Brooder

Nov 16, 2014
    They tend to be very cold intolerant :( More so than the average breeds. It's very possible that that's why they are passing.

5. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Free Ranging

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    It goes to my thinking......... Less mass. I also remember that my polish did not ruffle her feathers like lets say my cochin. This can also be a factor in insulating warmth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by