lost chest feathers

turksinmaine

Chirping
May 28, 2015
I have a tom turkey, 8 months old that lost its chest feathers. the reason is I feel from the fresh snow we got lately. probably laid down for a period, well the rest is self explanatory.
Anyhow the problem is that it is cold here and he is shivering. what can I do? and will his feathers grow back quickly? anybody that can respond with some options greatly appreciated. don't want him become ill or be so uncomfortable.

Last edited:

turksinmaine

Chirping
May 28, 2015
both sides of the chest, guessing 3-4 inches down and all the way across is bare.kind of hard with thwe angle unless I put him up on something.and he is one of my larger ones, but I will see what I can do. thanks for responding. and yes they were ripped out.

Lozuufy

Returning to the addiction
10 Years
May 20, 2012
Massachusetts
both sides of the chest, guessing 3-4 inches down and all the way across is bare.kind of hard with thwe angle unless I put him up on something.and he is one of my larger ones, but I will see what I can do. thanks for responding. and yes they were ripped out.

Sounds painful. Hope they grow back soon

turksinmaine

Chirping
May 28, 2015
no, heat lamps, wood buildings, adult turkeys. Not a comfortable trio. guess I will have to wait for feathers to re grow and monitor the bird.

SLovern0410

Hatching
Jun 1, 2016
My Tom is 4yrs. old, and he has lost all his chest feathers. There a lot of pieces (over an inch) sticking out, should I remove them or will the new feathers push them out?

Top Bottom