1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lost chest feathers

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by turksinmaine, Jan 3, 2016.

1. turksinmaine

turksinmaine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    I have a tom turkey, 8 months old that lost its chest feathers. the reason is I feel from the fresh snow we got lately. probably laid down for a period, well the rest is self explanatory.
    Anyhow the problem is that it is cold here and he is shivering. what can I do? and will his feathers grow back quickly? anybody that can respond with some options greatly appreciated. don't want him become ill or be so uncomfortable.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  2. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeon Girl Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    How many did he lose, could you post a pic? They should grow back pretty quickly if they were ripped out

3. turksinmaine

May 28, 2015
    both sides of the chest, guessing 3-4 inches down and all the way across is bare.kind of hard with thwe angle unless I put him up on something.and he is one of my larger ones, but I will see what I can do. thanks for responding. and yes they were ripped out.

4. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeon Girl Premium Member

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Sounds painful. Hope they grow back soon

5. turksinmaine

May 28, 2015
    thanks, me to

6. Turkey parents

Turkey parents Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2015
    North New Mexico
    You could always put him behind your stove for awhile or get him a heat lamp that might help keep him from getting too cold

7. turksinmaine

May 28, 2015
    no, heat lamps, wood buildings, adult turkeys. Not a comfortable trio. guess I will have to wait for feathers to re grow and monitor the bird.

8. SLovern0410

SLovern0410 New Egg

Jun 1, 2016
    My Tom is 4yrs. old, and he has lost all his chest feathers. There a lot of pieces (over an inch) sticking out, should I remove them or will the new feathers push them out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by