lost chick, just gone......so sad

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by skillswife, Feb 26, 2012.

1. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Well out of 24 eggs we ended up with 2 that hatched. They are my daughters. We gave them to a broody hen who is a great mama. At 2 today I went out to check again for eggs and mama and babies were fine. They are in a separate part of the coop from the rest of the flock. Went out at 5 to lock everyone up and a baby was gone. I looked everywhere, ripped nest boxes apart looking....looked everywhere inside the main coop, and all around outside, the rest of the flock/ducks free range. No sign of a baby chick at all anywhere. I am so baffled and upset.....The brooder pen has needed to be redone because if the chicks really get brave there is a small section of chicken wire that if they get up high enough they can get out, but I never have had any issues. I put mama and the remaining baby in the medium rabbit cage for the night so there won't be any more escapes. I know these things can happen but I am still devastated! Its extremely cold here at night so even if it was outside somewhere I don't hold out hope for finding it alive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by