Lost chicken returns.......

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by adeters2, Oct 30, 2007.

1. adeters2

adeters2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2007
    Mocksville, NC
    I had let my children free range one afternoon 2 weeks ago, while I raked out the yard. Upon returning later in the afternoon, I noticed a hawk circling above. They knew the yard was safe cause they all ran inside the yard and went straight underneath the coop. I didn't see anymore outside the yard so I shut the door. Within an hour I saw one of my girls really messed up just inside the tree line. Unfortunately she didn't make it. I went to the coop and counted.....2 short! I knew the fate of one, but not the other! Well today while cutting the grass I saw the missing girl come strutting out of the treeline and went straight to the yard door. I was SO happy to see her! For the longest time I figured her a gonner cause the smell of something dead was coming from a brush pile near the tree line...I figured it was her....But thankfully not!! She seems very well. No signs of trauma or anything... I guess she just went into hiding after the hawk 2 weeks ago..... or maybe just took a short vacaton! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Love a story with a happy ending! [​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    [​IMG] another happy ending!

4. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    WELLCOME TO BYC!!! and thats a really nice story...

5. nickki99

nickki99 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    That is wonderful news. Sometimes they really surprise us. Welcome! We are neighbors. I'm in Lexington. Small world.

6. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    yeah!

i have one that always takes off as well. i actually think she stays in the yard but i have no idea where. truly. she is a magician. but everytime i decide, well, this time she's dead for sure, then a week or a day later she's back. maybe she has two families, that hussy.

7. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:I had a silver spangled hamburg who did that. We finally figured out she was hiding eggs in the neighbors' yard under their storage shed. There was a huge bunch of 'em. Ick!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by