lost chickens

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I'm glad you were able to find your lost hens!

So glad you found your hens!

Here's a dilemma at our house: Rhett, our RIR hen, was missing and we thought for sure she was a goner. She is the adventerous one, and keeps flying over the fence! But the next two mornings, she has come back for breakfas, but took off again. I am hping against hope she will come back again today, and my plan would be to follow her to find out where she is going. I am suspicious that she has laid her first egg(s) somewhere and has gone "broody". Please, everyone keep your fingers crossed she has made it through one more night away from home!

Well! Thanks to all the info from BYC, we found Rhett in the bushes outside of our covered front patio in a raised flower bed. She was safely hidden and was "brooding" - get this - 23 perfectly beautiful brown eggs!

Now I don't know how to convince her to use the nesting box we set up! I left two of the eggs in the nesting box (it is lined in Bermuda) and she spent the night there. However, as soon as the coop doors were open, she was oitta there! Went right back to her nest in the bushes. I took her back and have her locked in, but she is *not a happy hen! How do I help her transition back (to a much safer) nesting box?

Back
Top Bottom