Lost chicks

They are a quasi-feral flock that has lived here for fifty years that we know of; maybe it's been hundreds of years. We supplement their free-range diet with some corn because we like having them around. We cannot stop them from breeding but if more chicks survived there would soon be more chickens than the natural forage base and our pocketbook could support. They manage their own flock size by driving away excess juveniles. It seems like such a waste. Every hen does her best to raise and wean her chicks but it's usually all for naught. I guess that's just Natures way; survival of the fittest and stuff like that. But, when you step back and look at it, their system works very well as evidenced by the flocks long term survival and genetic stability.
oh, well that’s a different story altogether. Very nice of you to help out the flock. Sounds very similar in practice to my local hunting club when we supplement feed for deer herd in my area. Certain locations near Lk Superior, particularly the northern coast in Keweenaw Co would not have a deer herd without DNR sanctioned supplemental feed stations.
Would love to see a pic of your vintage flock if you have any to share. 😊

Would love to see a pic of your vintage flock if you have any to share. 😊
I should take a family photo but here's a few. All the roosters look like this guy but there is some variation in leg color. There can be only one at a time.. All the hens are Wheaten-like black-tail buff with some variation in the buff color like these gals.. The one in the back left is young and still standoffish.

yard chickens.jpg

Last edited:
I should take a family photo but here's a few. All the roosters look like this guy but there is some variation in leg color. There can be only one at a time.. All the hens are Wheaten-like black-tail buff with some variation in the buff color like these gals.. The one in the back left is young and still standoffish.

View attachment 3366514
Wow, very stately looking rooster. Ole hen behind him looks skeptical. lol

Back
Top Bottom