Lost half my flock yesterday…

Two of my neighbor’s dogs went on a rampage yesterday, including killing 12 of my chickens and one duck. I have two other ducks that had to go to the vet for injuries and a chicken that I thought would die through the night that should have gone as well.

Two months ago, they killed a rooster in the night that I couldn’t get into the coop before I had to go to bed

One of the dogs charged my dad when he shot the ground the scare it and charged me the night it killed the rooster when I tried to run the pair off.

They also tried to kill another neighbor’s elderly dog. Minutes before my chickens.

They have repeatedly escaped my neighbors electric fence - something I didn’t know about and mistakenly thought the would address after the first incident.

Two of my hens are still missing, including one that was bothering 4 chicks and one duckling. The babies are still alive, thankfully.

The sheriff was called and was going to cite and fine them for each dog. I’m trying to come up with compensation they can pay… they offered but once the numbers come up people often sing a different tune once they get the vet costs, loss and also the loss in wages since I had to leave work.

I’m not really looking for advice. I’m deeply saddened by the loss of my birds and the quiet that has overcome the rest of the flock. My poor drake is alone for now, but the vet is very optimistic the two ducks I took to him will be fine. They have to be inside for a while during healing. I’m still a bit in shock and know others have gone through this. A Fox took one of my other ducks earlier this spring. I was sad about that but she was trying to feed her babies… the dogs just killed for fun. Im not mad at the dogs… but I am angry at the owners.

Thanks for reading
i would be highly upset if it were me. Sorry for your loss. Hopefully the neighbors will secure their dogs better. I have foxes so my chickens only free range when i can keep an eye on them in a chicken tractor. My son just recently lost all of 12 except for 4. Unknown predator.
Again so sorry.

People complain when they need to pay for a new appliance or for car repairs or for an unexpected vet bill for their own pet. If the owner does settle out of court, they are still paying for two vet bills and the other costs-- it may be high enough for them to sit up and take notice. That's in addition to the citation and fine from the sheriff (mentioned in the first post), so there clearly is some documentation as well.
Right. I get what your saying. Around here especially the farms, have money and they just pay it and don’t make changes. We do know people that pay others off so they can get away with stuff.

Hopefully something happens and this doesn’t happen again

Two of my neighbor’s dogs went on a rampage yesterday, including killing 12 of my chickens and one duck. I have two other ducks that had to go to the vet for injuries and a chicken that I thought would die through the night that should have gone as well.

Two months ago, they killed a rooster in the night that I couldn’t get into the coop before I had to go to bed

One of the dogs charged my dad when he shot the ground the scare it and charged me the night it killed the rooster when I tried to run the pair off.

They also tried to kill another neighbor’s elderly dog. Minutes before my chickens.

They have repeatedly escaped my neighbors electric fence - something I didn’t know about and mistakenly thought the would address after the first incident.

Two of my hens are still missing, including one that was bothering 4 chicks and one duckling. The babies are still alive, thankfully.

The sheriff was called and was going to cite and fine them for each dog. I’m trying to come up with compensation they can pay… they offered but once the numbers come up people often sing a different tune once they get the vet costs, loss and also the loss in wages since I had to leave work.

I’m not really looking for advice. I’m deeply saddened by the loss of my birds and the quiet that has overcome the rest of the flock. My poor drake is alone for now, but the vet is very optimistic the two ducks I took to him will be fine. They have to be inside for a while during healing. I’m still a bit in shock and know others have gone through this. A Fox took one of my other ducks earlier this spring. I was sad about that but she was trying to feed her babies… the dogs just killed for fun. Im not mad at the dogs… but I am angry at the owners.

Thanks for reading
Sorry about what happened. Dogs can be dangerous. Out of control aggressive dogs even more so. If the owners know their getting out of their electric fencing, then they should have kept them on leash when outside.

Thought I would give a one week update.

My two injured ducks are on the mend. The one that had a dislocated pelvis is able to walk, though weakly. She seems in good spirits and has even laid an egg every day for the last 5 days. Both are still living in a crate in my house which has left my drake very lonely and my house quite stinky.

The silkie roo that was injured is still hanging in there. He is eating/drinking and able to stand up tall now. I can’t find a specific injury on his leg but the knee joint is swollen but less so that immediately following the attack.

My missing birds never returned. It’s possibly they are alive but I have lost hope. I didn’t realize it until last Saturday but two of my 5 week old Phoenix chicks were also missing. I found one dead outside the run with a puncture wound in its breast. I presume the other met the same fate.

In total, I lost 15 birds to this attack, 1 laying duck, 10 laying hens, two chicks and two roosters.

I sent a certified letter containing the damages to the dog owner. To this point, she has not bothered to collect it from the Post Office. I asked for a response by Monday for if she accepted the damages.
If I don’t hear from her then I guess I will have to proceed to small claims. Between the birds, the almost ready to hatch duck eggs, the loss in egg production and the vet bill… I’ve asked for no small number but did including an itemized list for how I achieved the number I did.

I didn’t ask for compensation for the extra time it’s taken caring for injured birds and raising new chicks/ducklings, or the emotional damages it has caused.

This weekend we’ll begin building a new coop and run that will be much closer to our house and almost directly outside our main entrance to the house. I’m in the process of researching electric fencing as I have no doubt I’ll be seeing those dogs again.

I know you specifically stated you're not looking for advice, but for the benefit of others reading this: Never fire a warning shot. Not at an animal and not at person. If a situation warrants pulling the trigger it warrants placing the bullet in the place it can do the most good. If it doesn't warrant shooting to end the threat it doesn't warrant sending 55+gr of metal out into the world around the speed of sound.

We're very sorry to hear of your loss. We sincerely hope your neighbors have learned their lesson and that they do not continue to put any animals in danger.

I'll just say, I'm so sorry you and your flock had such an awful experience.
:hugs
poison dos not work well, traps an lead is best way , you know what you remove , it happened to me ,, later i removed 11 racoons an posums an one 7foot snake,, too meney, needed to thin down

My coop is less than 20 ft from my door so I'm out there in a flash.Its helped a lot to deter predators.
i also added 15k volt fence , not leatha ,but helps ,i got zaped by it , so did one of my chicken both fine louder than a car coil ,about same voltage , littel ones do nothing , must by large one or dont bother l i also added red light an outside switch an sigh,, plus live catch traps , you pick who gos

Thanks for reading

I put a perimeter fence around my yard after my neighbor got a bunch of chickens.
I was concerned what might happen if they got in my yard if I wasn't outside. I have 2 hunting dogs but their yards fenced.I didn't have a fence around my chicken coop & run but I do now.Their own dogs ended up killing their chickens.

Back
Top Bottom