Lost hen to huge egg?

Thia is pretty handy thanks! Their eggs seem pretty strong though, not sure if that was the problem. The egg she had was easily twice the size of a normal egg, not sure if it may have gotten stuck or caused some sort of prolapse. I am just not sure if it could have been prevented.
@R2elk Will have to verify accuracy of this but - if this doesnt go straight to it, scroll down to guy talking about protein. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...o-big-of-eggs-how-to-help.292164/post-3563197

Also, after watching what a hen as to go through every day to lay an egg before the brooding starts, human pregnancy seems pretty tame.😳
She's born w/all the yolks she'll ever have, and each day one has to spin through sections to form what we see as an egg. If it gets held up in any section for too long,it gets more than needed of that section- kind of like a car going through a wash and getting held up in the wax section.
It could have got held up in the calcium/shell area, or it might have passed through an area too quickly, becoming misshapened.
I did have one egg bound this spring, the egg was followed by a lot of blood. Too early for me to be on my game to remember what I read went wrong, but obviously she hemorrhaged to death.
Here's a video of the process.

Figured that would be the case. But, mishaps regarding egg development are correct, yes?
Mishaps regarding egg mishaps can have many different causes including, diseases, young age, insufficient calcium and/or vitamin D in the diet and even genetic causes.
I often wonder about all the thin shell egg posts and if the people having these issues aren't also using ACV. Most of the time it is simply because they are supplying insufficient calcium in the diet but ACV can interfere with the proper absorption of calcium especially when it is hot out.

Mishaps regarding egg mishaps can have many different causes including, diseases, young age, insufficient calcium and/or vitamin D in the diet and even genetic causes.
I often wonder about all the thin shell egg posts and if the people having these issues aren't also using ACV. Most of the time it is simply because they are supplying insufficient calcium in the diet but ACV can interfere with the proper absorption of calcium especially when it is hot out.
Oooh..in this op's case egg was too big-but you did give me pause re my own situation.🤔

Back
Top Bottom