Lost my favorite Duck tonight 👎😢

NormaTheChicken

In the Brooder
Nov 16, 2020
Hi everyone... I lost my favorite Duck who's name was rubber duckie tonight. All that was left of her was her feathers floating on the pond. I realized something was wrong when one of her buddies was standing in a foot of snow next to their house not moving because she was scared. I picked her up and realized rubber duckie was missing when I put her in their house. The worst part is my German Shepherd kept running in our house through his doggie door whining and barking to try and tell us but we couldn't figure out what he was so upset for. Any ideas what predator would get in the water to kill a duck? It's just a small pond with a couple koi and crayfish in it. Thank you for your help 😞

Hi everyone... I lost my favorite Duck who's name was rubber duckie tonight. All that was left of her was her feathers floating on the pond. I realized something was wrong when one of her buddies was standing in a foot of snow next to their house not moving because she was scared. I picked her up and realized rubber duckie was missing when I put her in their house. The worst part is my German Shepherd kept running in our house through his doggie door whining and barking to try and tell us but we couldn't figure out what he was so upset for. Any ideas what predator would get in the water to kill a duck? It's just a small pond with a couple koi and crayfish in it. Thank you for your help 😞
I'm so sorry for your loss 😥

I agree with it being a raccoon...so protect the other ducks because it will be back.

So sorry for your loss. I don't know if you figured out what killed you bird but my suggestion would be to put up a game camera if you have one and see what's been lurking. Most likely it's you killer and most likely will be back if it hasn't yet. Good luck...

Sorry for your loss. It happens to most of us sooner or later. At least those of us who give their birds a little freedom. Only way to protect them is to keep them under lock & key 24/7.
Can't think of any predator who would pass up an easy meal just because of a little water.

Just wanted to thank everyone for your kindness and helpful information!! I kept all my birds locked up for a couple days and now we are transitioning back to free ranging. I've been making sure everyone is locked up and safe in their houses well before dark though. Also, I've been letting my dog (100lb German Shepherd) patrol the area each night with me. We have fox, coyotes, racoons, opossums, and something I just thought of the other day was that we also have fishers. Regardless, I know it's a risk letting the birds free range but they all seem a lot happier and healthier than chickens and ducks I've encountered that are locked up... But that is just my opinion and I don't think it's wrong either to keep them locked up.

Back
Top Bottom